web analytics
Peculiar Smell When Cooling Down - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

Peculiar Smell When Cooling Down

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peculiar Smell When Cooling Down

I've been curing my 30" refractory dome oven this week using only seasoned hardwoods & newspaper. The burning wood smells so good... even the neighbors have raved about it (luckily) and I haven't even put food in it yet! And the next day when I pull off the oven doors to get ready for the next fire, it smells so good! But at the end of the daily cures, after the fire has died & the oven begins to cool, I've noticed a slight, peculiar smell coming from the oven. I don't even know where to start describing it other than it's non-organic, almost faintly metallic-like. When I stick my nose in there & take a good whiff, it's stifling... a bit suffocating.

Anyone experience anything like this???

Re: Peculiar Smell When Cooling Down

It could be the oven coking - I had this when I was curing my oven, the wood wasn't combusting efficiently due, I assume, to the huge moisture content within the oven chamber. The dome was very black and it smelled like you describe. I think the material used in the construction also smells whilst it is curing too. All disappeared once the oven had been fired to full temperature a couple of times.

Good luck!

p.s. I cured my oven without using a door to let as much moisture escape as possible, it could even be your door curing if it is painted...
    Last edited by PerryPizza; 09-10-2009, 06:04 AM.
    My rustic oven;
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...oven-6770.html
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PerryPizza View Post
      It could be the oven coking - I had this when I was curing my oven, the wood wasn't combusting efficiently due, I assume, to the huge moisture content within the oven chamber. The dome was very black and it smelled like you describe. I think the material used in the construction also smells whilst it is curing too. All disappeared once the oven had been fired to full temperature a couple of times.

Good luck!

p.s. I cured my oven without using a door to let as much moisture escape as possible, it could even be your door curing if it is painted...
      You know, I suppose it could be the smell of steam. Now that I've had more time to think about it, the smell kind of reminds me of that. Just got a little worried when it took my breath away after sticking my nose in there.

I only put the doors (unpainted, made from some fire resistant material) on when the oven cools to about 200-300 degrees. I thought I read somewhere this was the thing to do during curing to retain the heat longer. Should I leave the doors off all night & let it cool faster?

Comment

I figured out what the smell is most similar to... a sauna! I guess that would make sense. So what is that smell from? Is it moisture... is that what extreme heat smells like??? Sorry... my 1st WFO!

Comment

Does it smell a bit like a road paving site ?

If so, it could be creosote build up.

This will burn off in the final firing when your oven gets to 900 + F.

Comment

Not so much like tar... it really smells more like a sauna.

Comment

Working...
            X