web analytics
methol hydrate ok in oven? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

methol hydrate ok in oven?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• methol hydrate ok in oven?

I have been starting my fires in my house wood burner with chainsaw shavings soaked in kerosene. I dont want to use this nasty smelling stuff of course in my pizza oven. I was wondering if methol hydrate would be ok. I tested it today and its nice and flamable but not sure if its toxic when ignited.
    I will be burning fir and arbutus mostly and like the idea of having something like what I use in the house for the ease of llighting the fire.
    Any thoughts out there....wayne
    see below for my oven album of progress to date

Re: methol hydrate ok in oven?

I would say no, I am not an advocate of using any kind of accelerant in such an enclosed space (WFO). Maybe one of our resident pyromaniacs can decypher what I found in the attached link. It mentions that wood alcohol (methyl hydrate - methanol) can be quite explosive.....thats more than enough reason for me not to try it.

Fire & Explosions in the Canadian Upstream Oil & Gas Industry - Identifying Fire & Explosion Hazards - Fuel Sources

Re: methol hydrate ok in oven?

Fir is a resinous wood, and if split fairly finely should burn like kerosine by it's self. I know some people use gas burners, or parafin fire starters, but I'm a paper and kindling kind of guy.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2