web analytics
Curing Question - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

I'm Peter Reinhart! Ask Me Anything! Monday, February 15, 2016 7:00-8:00 pm EST

To kick off our AMA feature, we have invited author, chef and master bread maker and host of Pizza Quest, Peter Reinhart, to be our first host! Peter will be in the Forum on Monday, February 15th, from 7:00 - 8:00 pm EST. If you are unable to be online during the live session, you can post your questions in the sticky post. Peter will answer those questions during the live session on February 15th. You can view Peter's answers to your questions as well as what happened during the live session in the session thread.

Ask Me Anything New Forum Feature

You will notice a new forum at the top of the main page called, "Ask Me Anything". This forum will be used for live one hour "Ask Me Anything" (AMA) sessions hosted by people who are knowledgeable in different areas pertaining to wood fired ovens. How it works:
- Each AMA will have a "sticky" thread where the community can post questions they would like answered during the live session. This will allow everyone to participate even if you can't be online for the live session. These questions will not be answered by the host until the live AMA; if you need an answer quickly, you should post it in the appropriate Forum area for the community to respond.
- Another thread will be posted for the live AMA. Registered users who are logged in during the live session can interact with the host by asking questions and receiving responses.
- The live thread will remain in the AMA forum to view after the session.

We hope you enjoy this new feature! Please let us know if there is a topic that you'd like to have as an AMA and we'll look for a host!

Forno Bravo
See more
See less

Curing Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curing Question

Okay, this occurred to me a couple times and I haven't seen the answer. When do you begin the curing process? After the dome is finished but the insulation et al hasn't been done or after the oven is completely finished? It seems like people do it either way but I'm not sure.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Re: Curing Question

I just posted on this topic on another thread.

I have been thinking it is much less stress on the brick to fire after insulation, because you do not have such a wide difference in temperature across the brick and invariably across the outside dome surface. It would be easy to take the blanket off or look under it to inspect for cracks after the cure, if you are so inclined.

I went ahead and fully insulated mine before firing. After 7 fires I do not have any cracks visible inside the dome.

Just a thought.
    Wade Lively

Comment

~nods~ Yup, you posted in the same thread that got me thinking about it again.

Thanks!
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
      [/CENTER]

Comment

I feel that if you are using only the insulating blanket, or bulk dry vermiculite or perlon, you could start curing once the dome is complete. However, if you are using vermiculite cement as an insulating medium, then that also must be dried out slowly.
        I am currently curing my Pompeii oven. I have finished all of the brickwork and insulation, (1" blanket and 3 x 1" vermiculite/cement layers topped with a 1/2" cement render), still yet to tile the rendered dome and install the vent and chimney and make the cast doors. Had a good sized fire in there last night, the third one in the series, and no detectable heat on the outside with the oven. It was still pleasantly warm after 10 hours of 4 to 5įC overnight temperatures.
        Planning an even bigger fire tonight in readiness for the first cook-up on Saturday. No sign of movement or cracking anywhere.

Neill
        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
        Neillís kitchen underway
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Working...
        X