web analytics
Cure before building the chimney and vent? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

Cure before building the chimney and vent?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cure before building the chimney and vent?

I am almost done with the dome of my oven and thought I would move right into the vent/chimney area.
    I noticed some ovens without the chimney.
    Should I cure the oven prior to building the vent and chimney or wait until both the dome and chimney are completed?
    Gino

Re: Cure before building the chimney and vent?

Wait until you have done the vent and chimney, this will give the oven time to cure slowly.. by waiting 1-2months from dome till first fires, i have zero cracks in my dome after 3 pizza nights..

Comment

Chidding,
      Is there a dome mortar consistency that you employed you could share?
      John

Comment

Originally posted by chidding View Post
        by waiting 1-2months from dome till first fires, i have zero cracks in my dome after 3 pizza nights..
        Probably living in WA helped with the curing.
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Honestly this was my first time using mortar so I can't give you exact details. But basically made it so my plaster trowel. (used to apply plaster inside?) could stand up without falling over?
          Not sure what I did differently except for having a plastic sheet over it after every day. Also most work was in winter which means the temps were never
          Over 20degrees Celsius.

I guess it was like a porridge consistency? Held its shape but was very pliable. I used silaset 40d from the company Sila.

Comment

I imagine I wont be done with the dome and vent/chimney for a while.
            With the Wester PA winters, I will probably tarp the oven until spring when I can work on the exterior.
            This way I have about 5 months of curing before the first firing. My deadline is my sons high school graduation in June 2012. By that time I should be cooking pizza.
            Gino

Comment

Thanks Chidding. I'm sure the plastic cover contributed (I used wet towels) but cool/damp conditions would seem ideal.

Comment

Working...
              X