web analytics
waterproof outer layer - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

Things are progressing in getting things back in order on the Forum! User avatars should be showing up. Attachment and inline images are in the process of being uploaded. We are still looking for a migration path for the Photoplog gallery. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

waterproof outer layer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waterproof outer layer

Hi guys, i was recommended to cover my dome and insulation with an exterior stucco with a waterproofing additive. I am planning on curing my oven after finishing the insulating layer (is this correct?)...my question is, should i cure after applying the waterproof stucco or should i cure after the insulation (blanket and perlite concrete) and then apply the final finish. The reason i am unsure is that by curing i am driving the moisture out and as such it dosent seem to make sense to put a moisture barrier on top to stop this process. Or will the moisture find a way out anyway even if covered with waterproof stucco?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated - dont want to fall at the last hurdle!
    many thanks
    George

Re: waterproof outer layer

I cured with full insulation, but with no exterior stucco at all. I got great flumes of steam. I can't imagine how that moisture would have ever escaped if I had applied my waterproof stucco first.

On the plus-side, living in wet Seattle, my three-layer Quikrete-with-acrylic-fortifier exterior has worked like a charm. The entire top of my oven is a planter bed which I intentionally water (drench) and I have yet to see a drop of water inside my oven.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
    Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

thank you! think i will go down the same route as you and cure with full insulation but save the outer stucco until after 10/20 firings

Comment

I also used Quikrete QuikWall SBC with acrylic fortifier. So far I only have just a coat of it over a couple layers of base coat stucco. I will be applying a second coat soon.
        George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

thank you for your replies guys - i was just wondering though, how did you protect the whole set up from the elements (rain, moisture) while you were curing , or in fact before the waterproof layer went on.
          Was it just a case of maybe a blanket and waterproof tarp on top?

Comment

Most people either use tarp or erect a canopy over the oven.
            I did not have to deal with any of that because I'm in L.A. and we don't get much rain at all.
            George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Working...
            X