web analytics
alternative to wood - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

alternative to wood

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternative to wood

Has anyone tried using natural lump coal? No, not charcoal briquettes. I wonder if it would get the oven hot enough or have any drawbacks. I have a hard time getting good woods so I'm fishing for alternatives to use in the pompai oven. Has anyone gotten gas to work and if so how does one install it or what would one use? I see that my local restaurant uses gas in their bee hive oven but it's way too big and complicated for me. I'm certainly up for suggestions. Thanks.

Re: alternative to wood

I have used coal and it works OK. Locally it is more expensive than wood. You want a "low sulfur" coal -which most domestic use coal is.

"I have a hard time getting good woods"

Any old wood will do, as long as it is well seasoned.

They actually heat ovens with bundles of twigs in wood-short areas around the world so you don't even need "wood" to heat the oven though it is good to have actual wood to burn while actually cooking pizza (so you get a curtain of fire going up the dome to enhance the radiative heating.

While there are people on the listserve that use gas you will find it discouraged for the dome can trap gas if there is a leak and lighting the oven can be....exciting.

Good Luck!

Grimaldi's Pizzeria. The pizza that made the Brooklyn Bridge famous.

Most New York pizzerias were originally coal fired. The remaining ones today were grandfathered in when NY outlawed the use of coal. If you do a search you will find quite a number of coal fired pizzerias.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka