web analytics
Help needed lining a smoker with firebrick - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

Help needed lining a smoker with firebrick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed lining a smoker with firebrick

Greetings All,

In addition to my 42" Pompeii build, my outdoor kitchen plans include a built-in rectangular smoker (54"lx33"wx38"h) that utilizes a removable round steel firebox.

My initial plans call for a 2 1/2" steel-stud box frame with 1/2" cement board on either side and insulation (blanket?) inside. I would then mortar 9x4.5x1.25" 'splits' to the inside walls of the smoker.

Question #1: Do you forsee any problems mortaring the firebrick splits (like tile) onto the cement board interior? I plan to use refractory mortar.

Question #2: Will the concrete board (Hardibacker) hold up to temperatures up to 250degF?

Question #3: Would it be smarter to build an internal wall of 2 1/2" firebrick and insulate accordingly outside? I understand it is not wise to stagger bricks layed in a vertical fashion. How would a sturdy wall be properly constructed?

This whole exercise was born from my current smoker that is regularly too small and that leaks heat from it's thinnish metal walls. On a recent trip to the local county fair I saw a vendor who had lined his smoker with firebrick splits.

All help/advise greatly appreciated!

John
    Attached Files

Re: Help needed lining a smoker with firebrick

I lined an old fireplace with firebrick splits, the firebox was small to begin with, and I didn't want to loose much space. They were, however, mortared to a solid common brick structure with heat-stop, except where there were big gaps which I backfilled with ordinary mortar. It's held up well, but it's only been used with gas logs, so it's not subjected to raging flames. I don't know how splits would work stuck to masonry board.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks for the timely response, David. When construction time comes, if I'm not completely comfortable with using masonry board for the inside walls I will cast a 'low-temp' 1" wall using portland and fireclay and either mortar the splits to it or forgo the splits altogether.

John

Comment

John

You can also check some of the pottery forums. They discuss building kilns and you may get some ideas from them.

Comment

Thanks Neil. Good idea!

John

Comment

Working...
          X