web analytics
fireproofing - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

fireproofing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fireproofing

I'm putting a drop-in grill into a wooden kitchen base. Can I get a way with ceramic tile left over from an oven design for heat protection of will I have to buy a [$700] stainless steel heat shield [jacket]?

Or how else to shield?

Re: fireproofing

Code (in most places)=4" of masonry, 2" air gap to combustible materials.

Comment

I assume you mean EITHER 4" masonry OR 2" air ?? And the 2" applies to under the grill also? Of course this may vary on the brand of grill?

Comment

No, both, but that is for interior use. Do you have a pic of your project?

Comment

no it's at another location. but it's outdoors.

Comment

As a rule, outdoors and wood structures (without a roof, i.e. indoors) do not play well together. Without seeing it, all I can say is don't pay 700 bucks for a SS sleeve, but do not ignore code which is normally a MINIMUM, not the optimum.

Comment

The wood is acacia. Will not rot for 25 years. The structure is tested to hold 350-lbs. But there's a still a fire issue. I'll figure it out.

Comment

Acacia burns with a passion, its my preferred firewood when I go wood collecting.
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Is this visible wood or structural?

Comment

my luck a guy from Australia. ok, mate.

visible vs structural: both

Comment

What the the brand and model? Gas or electric or charcoal?

Comment

OCI Elite Series OCIE48BQARL 48 Built-in Professional Gas Grill - Stainless Steel

Comment

Page 8 of their manual has the information you are looking for:

To Combustible Construction:
                          Above and below the cooking surface, maintain a minimum of 12" from the sides and a minimum of 12" from the back to adjacent vertical combustible construction.
                          Do not install this unit into combustible enclosures without an OCI insulated jacket!

Comment

The manual is ambiguous - 12" distance WITH or WITHOUT an insulating jacket?

It's probably zero distance when using their jacket. I'll have to call their engineers to be sure.

Comment

Working...
                            X