web analytics
how about fire clay? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

Things are progressing in getting things back in order on the Forum! User avatars should be showing up. Attachment and inline images are in the process of being uploaded. We are still looking for a migration path for the Photoplog gallery. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

how about fire clay?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how about fire clay?

I have been wanting to build a brick oven for quite a long time, but keep feeling overwhelmed about the whole aspect of purchasing and cutting and joining, etc. I have seen prefabbed dome ovens for sale, but those seem to always be way too expensive. Now, I have heard of forming a domed oven out of clay and thought that that may be a suitable substitute process. Has anyone tried this approach, and if so, what type of fire clay should I be looking for?
    I read about EPK Kaolin dry clay in 50 lb bags. If this is a good type of clay, I could use it for the dome and use fire brick for the flooring. I'm thinking that a good 3" thick clay dome would be a good start, then wrap around it with and insulating blanket and then the vermiculite material for further insulation. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.
Working...
X