web analytics
What is this do I need one - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

What is this do I need one

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this do I need one

Please...
    What is this thing?? and what does it do? and will I need one???
    A newbie still contemplating and researchingName:  a120c68daf6769a68a2aff013ea8bb06.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  15.1 KB

Re: What is this do I need one

Ah, that is a jig for positioning the bricks as you lay each chain to ensure they have the right angle to make a dome shape. It helps ensure a perfect arc from the center. Do you need it? Well it depends, lots of folks here will swear by them. Personally, I built my oven without one and six months on things seem fine. I'd say if you plan on building a few of these then maybe the jig is worth the investment of time and energy. I put myself on a strict budget and found using a quarter round shape of celotex that I used as a guide worked fine. When I reached the last few chains when the dome was more horizontal I inserted an exercise ball inside and it supported the bricks.

Comment

They will give you a hemispherical shape.

In my opinion an elliptical shape is preferable. For this I suggest you use a home made Styrofoam "fan" form. Cheap and easy to to do.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Neil2; 03-12-2010, 04:43 PM.

Comment

It's the "indispensable" tool invented, I think, by Hendo. It comes in lots of flavors, including ones with clamps, although I'm a little dubious about that. Here's one by Pizza Bob that has a variable length, so you can use it to make elliptical section domes:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...ions-7794.html
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

If you are a novice brick layer when you start this project the tool is true to its name. It is indispensible. Now that I have laid 3 courses I think I probably could do it without the tool based on the practice that I have had. It helps to maintain the correct angles so your dome will be the shape you envisioned it. There are many variations on the tool, I find the clamp is helpful. I am hoping to be done with my dome by the end of March ( I was also hoping to eat wood fired pizza for the super bowl, but that one didn't happen)message me when you are ready to get started.
          Eric

Comment

I used a cardboard pattern.
            My thread:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
            My costs:
            http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
            My pics:
            http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Working...