web analytics
How to support heavy Roof above oven? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

How to support heavy Roof above oven?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to support heavy Roof above oven?

All, I'm curious of how to support a hefty roof above my oven. I want a cement or stone roof. Oven will be 42" corner.

CAD Plans are here:

Re: How to support heavy Roof above oven?

A solid concrete roof? That is a lot of weight. First, that big masonry chimney will have to be supported separately from the oven dome: The dome will support the weight of the flue tiles, but the masonry surround will have to be supported separately. I built a really big masonry chimney by pouring a third slab above my oven with a hole in it for the flue tile, and the chimney enclosure was built up from this slab. (This slab was supported by uprights on the oven slab.) Something like this could work for you, you could even engineer your cast concrete roof as the support for your masonry chimney.

I'm wondering how you're going to pour this slab on an angle. It's also not going to be the easiest thing to get to with buckets of wet concrete.

Good luck, keep us posted.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

I just posted a response to basically this question on your other thread... I wonder if some sort of tile or thin precast might not be better than a solid, sloped, monolithic roof... which might have to be precast upside down, flipped, and hoisted.

I am guessing that the easiest way to do this would be to build it out of ferrocement over a mold, like those cement boats that were being built a while back. I am doing something like that myself, using cement stucco over lath like the igloo-style ovens do but with a semi-framed, house-like structure. You could presumably try something similar, with a half-inch-thick layer of thin sand-based concrete over a lath and backerboard roof, polished to match the countertops. Not that I've ever actually done this, mind you... the idea just follows from what I've read in a Sunset book about decorative concrete, so take that as you will.

My oven build is finally complete!

Check out jamies build pics.. I think he has it going the way you need... Again,, Nice job Jamie