web analytics
Perlite vs Expanded Perlite or Vermiculite - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

Perlite vs Expanded Perlite or Vermiculite

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perlite vs Expanded Perlite or Vermiculite

What is the difference in terms of insulating factor? Most of you out there, I assume, are using expanded Perlite or what I know as Vermiculite. Is that a true assumption? Even so, how much insulating factor difference is there in the two. I'm sure people are using both.
    Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Re: Perlite vs Expanded Perlite or Vermiculite

Perlite is a naturally occurring mineral that looks like this:

As far as I know it has little or no insulation value.
    When crushed and heated, it pops like popcorn and produces the little lightweight white spheres that we are talking about in oven building.
    Vermiculite is also a heated mineral, but it's brown in color, and the chunks are cubic instead of spherical.

They both work fine for oven insulation. Outside the US there may be some question of whether vermiculite is asbestos free, as the two minerals can be found in the same formations. For this reason, I'd stick with perlite if you can get it.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Expanded Perlite has an R value of about 4 per inch of thickness. Vermiculite has an R value of about 3.4 per inch of thickness. Perlite also tends to be cheaper.

I found the perlite was more "workable" in terms of screeding and leveling.