web analytics
36" Dome in a day - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

36" Dome in a day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36" Dome in a day

Hello all.
    So happy, I have never laid a brick in my life, (I am a formwork carpenter by trade) for my first oven I made forms and cast the oven in situ using refractory materials, this was easy for me as my trade is making molds for concrete however I now live in Costa Rica far from the city so only have acess to certain materials. Using the excellent book Your Brick Oven: Building it and Baking in it by Russel Jeavons I managed to lay up the foundations, walls and slab in 2 half days and completed the dome and door arch in another day, Unfortunatly the door arch collapsed as I was too eager to strike the form sooner rather than later but it took less than 2 hours to rebuild "·better and stronger" For a dome gauge I just made a wooden gauge using rubbish wood with a screw in the bottom of the arm connected to a maisonary nail in the slab by wire, perfect movement in every direction. I was very happy with this thinking out of the box meathod as I was trying to work out for ages how I could make the gauge out of metal, So simple just nail 3 bits of wood together and wire it to the slab. I will forward photos soon.
    Thank you

Re: 36" Dome in a day

Great to hear. Did you by chance insulate under the hearth?
    My Oven Thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Working...
    X