web analytics
Fire brick approved for food contact? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

Fire brick approved for food contact?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire brick approved for food contact?

I'm just starting to research WFO construction. I've looked some on the Web in general and this forum in particular, but as yet I haven't found anything regarding fire brick use and food contact. Here in the US, are there products such as FDA-approved fire bricks for baking applications? Or is it apparent in the brick manufacturing process that anything toxic is volatilized or perhaps "locked" into the brick? Thanks for the help.

Great site!

Re: Fire brick approved for food contact?

Fire bricks are not considered food safe because they are porous. How any bugs could survive 400 C is beyond me, but the regulators have different criteria. A wooden oven door is also not in the food safe category because wood is porous. Maybe we need to be builing our ovens totally from stainless steel so we can satisfy the regulations.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Re: Fire brick approved for food contact?

Firebricks consist of silica and alumina. The clay (silica) part is a naturally mined substance, and thus may contain other trace elements. The alumina part is a by-product of aluminum production, and is mostly pure.

If you are in a situation where you need to prove to the health department that your oven is 100% safe, you may have to get a UL approved modular oven like Forno Bravo sells. For home baking, I think, as David S. says, that they are entirely safe.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
      X