web analytics
Double Firebrick ?? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

Double Firebrick ??

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Firebrick ??

Hello All,
    Would it be usefull to put a double firebrick hearth under the dome, OR would that take away to much heat from the oven and not act as an insulator like the vermiculite does. ???

Re: Double Firebrick ??

Firebrick is not an insulator. If pizza is your goal, one layer of flat firebrick is what you want, with insulation underneath.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Fire brick will add mass to the oven and create a heat sink, This is good for breads and baking but takes longer to reach pizza temps. I doubled the floor and added an extra layer of fire mortar over the dome to create this very effect. I can't say that it take longer (but it must)to heat because I have nothing to compare it to but....it work great. The real key I believe is to insulate heavily. Insulation is more important than mass. I like doing long slow roasting say ribs or roasts.

For the record, I have a single layer of firebrick on the floor and a little extra refractory mass (1") in the dome. I can bake 25lbs of bread in one firing (or more, but I have never had more to bake). My temps are still 300 degrees the next day. So unless you are a commercial baker, the regular plans will work for you. Insulate everywhere!
        My Oven Thread:

It is a trade off between fast heating and sustaining the heat.

As noted by DrakeRemoray, the typical one layer design will also work well with bread baking.