web analytics
refractory concrete hearth? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

refractory concrete hearth?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• refractory concrete hearth?

Hi guys,

I'm part way through a build, refining the design as I go. For a bunch of reasons to do with limited space and a liking for the small and efficient over the big and meaty, I'm going for a cast refractory concrete dome, 33"ish diameter, and 2"ish thick. I know this is a lot thinner than the standard half brick, so there will be less thermal mass - that's a good thing as far as quick heat-up goes, but I know I need to be very careful on the insulation to try to keep the heat in. I also know there has to be a much higher chance of it collapsing than a brick dome - that's a risk I'm prepared to take ;-)

Anyway, my real question is about the hearth. With a thinner than usual dome, a thinner than usual hearth seems pretty sensible. So I'm thinking 2" or a touch less. I'll have a bunch of refractory concrete available, and I'm wondering if anyone has used that for a hearth, or has any good thoughts about whether it will be a good thing or a bad thing. I've seem quite a few refractory concrete domes now, but no hearths - is there a good reason why which I'm missing?

I know you can get thinner firebricks, and I know they are well proven, so they are obviously an option. But I don't mind experimenting and being the fall-guy for something new - unless someone knows a good reason not to!

Dave.
Working...
X