web analytics
Pizza in a Bread Oven - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

Pizza in a Bread Oven

This is a sticky topic.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our plan was to pour our hearth with 4 inches of reinforced concrete for strength, then a perlite/portland blend layer of five inches on top of that, then the 2 inch tiles from Maurice on top of that... We could get enough offcuts to make the tiles double thick.. Think that'd be enough? His hearths are 3 inches of perlite/portland/sand on the bottom, three inches of regular cement on top of that, then the 2 inch firebrick tiles. He says that works, but I don't want my oven to just work, I want it so sing. Found materials only go so far. If it takes money to get the correct materials, we'll spend money to do it right, we're just trying our best to do this thing as earth friendly as possible, whilst building a cutting edge pizza oven.

Re: Pizza in a Bread Oven

Originally posted by james View Post
      I have always said that it's easy to cook bread in a pizza oven, and hard to cook pizza in a bread oven. Last night really solidified that thinking for me..............

Plus, it isn't just about pizza. If you want to bake, roast and grill at home, the Italian brick oven design has a lot of advantages.

I'm not sure what to say, but I have a vault and often do great roasts (normal & slow) while having no trouble with pizzas either?

It might have something to do with the fact that I usually spend quite a lot of time firing the oven during the morning/day, depending on what I'm doing. Last Monday I started firing at 12pm and kept it up while outside/in the shed/homebrewing, to last wood at 3pm, there was GOOD heat in it let me tell you. I slid the roast lamb in at 4.30pm, ready at 5.45pm (small roast) & rested for 25mins...sensational meat when it comes from your own paddock!

Pizza, I do quite similar, sometimes just setting a smallish piece of timber on the coals to tick away, this is usually enough to keep plenty of heat to cook 2 or 3 10" - 12" pizzas at a time.

Not sure if I'm just lucky but I love everything that comes out of my barrel vault...or maybe I'm just not that fussy?
      Boom Shanker! (Neil - The Young Ones)

Re: Pizza in a Bread Oven

Thanks for the review and heads up. I was wondering if there was much of a difference.