web analytics
How far from house? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

New Forno Bravo Forum Feature

Forno Bravo Forum Community,

You will notice a new forum at the top of the main page called, "Ask Me Anything". This forum will be used for live one hour "Ask Me Anything" (AMA) sessions hosted by people who are knowledgeable in different areas pertaining to wood fired ovens. How it works:
- Each AMA will have a "sticky" thread where the community can post questions they would like answered during the live session. This will allow everyone to participate even if you can't be online for the live session. These questions will not be answered by the host until the live AMA; if you need an answer quickly, you should post it in the appropriate Forum area for the community to respond.
- Another thread will be posted for the live AMA. Registered users who are logged in during the live session can interact with the host by asking questions and receiving responses.
- The live thread will remain in the AMA forum to view after the session.

To kick off our AMA feature, we have invited author, chef and master bread maker and host of Pizza Quest, Peter Reinhart, to be our first host! Peter will be in the Forum on Monday, February 15th, from 7:00 - 8:00 pm EST. If you are unable to be online during the live session, you can post your questions in the sticky post. Peter will answer those questions during the live session on February 15th. You can view Peter's answers to your questions as well as what happened during the live session in the session thread.

We hope you enjoy this new feature! Please let us know if there is a topic that you'd like to have as an AMA and we'll look for a host!

Forno Bravo
See more
See less

How far from house?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far from house?

Hello another newbie I have been reading this forum for hours its great! I have found many answers to my questions so far. I'm just digging the clay for our oven which has to be finished in 4 weeks for a party There is only one place I can put it which as adjacent to the back wall of my house, there will be a gap of maybe 10 inches, is this going to be okay?

Then the other problem is the chimney, it would have to be 30ft to go above the roof so can you get away with a smaller say 10ft one ? How far away from plastic window frames would the top of the chimney need to be, could it melt them?

Is the heat and smoke worse than a barbeque?

Cheers Great site, off to read some more ..........

Re: How far from house?

Code says 24 inches to combustibles, so there is a problem if the back wall of your house is not masonry. Code also says that your chimney top should be two feet higher than anything within 10 feet. Of course most of us pay no attention to building code, but common sense still applies. The smoke (at start up) and exhaust gases are very hot. The difference between a brick oven and a barbeque is that a brick oven burns a lot more fuel than the hand full of briquettes that go in the Weber.

Four weeks is pushing it, particularly in the short cold days of autumn. Remember that once it's done it needs a week to cure.

Welcome. Keep us posted.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
    X