web analytics
Cutting concrete block - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

Cutting concrete block

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting concrete block

I've got my stand all layed out and ready to pour the concrete inside the blocks but I need to get the blocks to lay flat after installing the angle iron. What is the easiest way (other than a wet diamond blade) to cut out for the angle iron so the blocks will lay flat?

Re: Cutting concrete block

Angle grinder and a masonary blade.
    Wade Lively

Comment

Originally posted by Dan94550 View Post
      I've got my stand all layed out and ready to pour the concrete inside the blocks but I need to get the blocks to lay flat after installing the angle iron. What is the easiest way (other than a wet diamond blade) to cut out for the angle iron so the blocks will lay flat?
      My SkilSaw and a masonry blade made the job very easy.

Ken
      Attached Files
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

But the easiest way is to set the angle iron outside the blocks and let your mortar make up the 3-5mm difference!

Comment

Originally posted by maver View Post
          But the easiest way is to set the angle iron outside the blocks and let your mortar make up the 3-5mm difference!
          I'll one-up you for an even easier route. Just sit the blocks on the angle iron and don't worry about any grooves or mortar thickness. Just let the blocks stick up a few millimeters.

When you put the forms on the block stand for the hearth, make sure they are level (the blocks on the angle iron will stick up just a bit higher) and pour the hearth. No one will ever know. Shouldn't be any structural issues.

That's how I'd do it if I had to do it again.

Ken
          Ken H. - Kentucky
          42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
          Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Thanks guys. I tried the skill saw yesterday and the old blade I had on there broke and I'm having a hell of a time trying to take off what is remaining on the shank. The blade I had on my angle grinder was for metal. I will go out and buy some new blades and continue.

Comment

Originally posted by maver View Post
              Unfortunately I am going the dry fit route so there isn't any mortar gap to make up the difference.

Comment

Home Depot has started carrying good and cheap diamond blades for cutting brick, block and stone. They are a lot faster and easier than the old fashioned black masonry blades -- and not that much more expensive. They work really well at first when they are still sharp, so cutting block is a breeze.
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
                  so cutting block is a breeze.
                  Or you could just leave them out in the breeze .

No, really, get the diamond blade for the angle grinder. It's worth the money, and you'll use it a lot. And buy a good face mask while you're there. Big Dust Alert.
                  My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

What size Angle Grinder you guys using...I bought a 4 inch and couldn't do much with it.

Tony

Comment

I got the 4 1/2. The extra quarter inch of depth really helps. Also, the diamond blades don't wear down a quarter inch per cut.
                      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I always use a Skill saw and a full size blade. I am part of the "buy a cheap one and kill it" clan.
                        James
                        Pizza Ovens
                        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I have a 4" angle grinder so I'll pick up a blade on the way home from work and give it a try. Since the angle iron is 2" the 4 " should do the trick.

Comment

Make sure you get a metal blade for the angle iron, not a masonry blade! You can power your way through angle iron with the wrong blade, but it ruins the blade and is a big mess.
                            James
                            Pizza Ovens
                            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by Dan94550 View Post
                              Unfortunately I am going the dry fit route so there isn't any mortar gap to make up the difference.
                              I meant mortar (or stucco) to the face of it when you finish the oven - the face does not need to be smooth - the block stand is just to raise the oven, but you are well on your way, no worries.

Comment

Working...
                              X