web analytics
High Heat Mortar Mix question - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

Things are progressing in getting things back in order on the Forum! User avatars should be showing up. Attachment and inline images are in the process of being uploaded. We are still looking for a migration path for the Photoplog gallery. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

High Heat Mortar Mix question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Heat Mortar Mix question

Hello, I have conflicting formulas (by different dealers/people etc..)
    One mix is thi:
    1 part cement, i part fireclay
    another is:
    1 part cement, 1 part fireclay, 10-12 parts sand

Seems like an awful big difference in mixes, or is it just me???

Re: High Heat Mortar Mix question

Hi Frenchcanuck
    I have almost finished my Pompeii, only the final mosaic tiling to complete and I used a well tried and proven mix for my firebrick mortar, as 3 parts brick layers sand, 1 part hydrated lime, 1 part fireclay and 1 part portland cement.
    I have used it for 4 large cookups and no sign of problems.
    I certainly would NOT USE either of the formulas that you mentioned.
    I would recommend using a brickie sand rather than a washed concrete or plaster sand, but I don't know what you have vailable in your district.

Hope this helps. I have a full pictorial build and explanation in the 'Brick oven photos' forum if you want to follow my construction.

All the best with yours.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neillís kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Re: High Heat Mortar Mix question

I concur with Neill. That is the exact formula I used for the barrel vaulted bread oven I constructed. It was a recipe I got through the grandson of a oven mason in Czechoslovakia. The only alteration I made was on the wall bricks where some people lay dry joints I used straight fireclay mixed with water. Other than that all joints are mortared with that recipe!
      Best
      Dutch
      "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
      "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Working...
      X