web analytics
have i made a cock up - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

I'm Peter Reinhart! Ask Me Anything! Monday, February 15, 2016 7:00-8:00 pm EST

To kick off our AMA feature, we have invited author, chef and master bread maker and host of Pizza Quest, Peter Reinhart, to be our first host! Peter will be in the Forum on Monday, February 15th, from 7:00 - 8:00 pm EST. If you are unable to be online during the live session, you can post your questions in the sticky post. Peter will answer those questions during the live session on February 15th. You can view Peter's answers to your questions as well as what happened during the live session in the session thread.

Ask Me Anything New Forum Feature

You will notice a new forum at the top of the main page called, "Ask Me Anything". This forum will be used for live one hour "Ask Me Anything" (AMA) sessions hosted by people who are knowledgeable in different areas pertaining to wood fired ovens. How it works:
- Each AMA will have a "sticky" thread where the community can post questions they would like answered during the live session. This will allow everyone to participate even if you can't be online for the live session. These questions will not be answered by the host until the live AMA; if you need an answer quickly, you should post it in the appropriate Forum area for the community to respond.
- Another thread will be posted for the live AMA. Registered users who are logged in during the live session can interact with the host by asking questions and receiving responses.
- The live thread will remain in the AMA forum to view after the session.

We hope you enjoy this new feature! Please let us know if there is a topic that you'd like to have as an AMA and we'll look for a host!

Forno Bravo
See more
See less

have i made a cock up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• have i made a cock up

Hi all Just built a wood oven and I am not sure I have used the right stuff to line it.... I have used a mix of 10% fine vermiculite 20% medium vermiculite 35% hymod clay and 35% cement fondu refractory grade the lining is about 12 inch thick I am just in the middle of curing it so I hope it is right

Re: have i made a cock up

Jack,
    It would seem you have created a mix of insulating and heat retaining materials. The vermiculite being the insulating and the hymod (high modulous?) clay and Fondu being heat retaining. Actually I look on Fondu as the glue which binds other stuff together, as in regular concrete the cement simply binds the sand and aggregate together. The hymod clay I am not familiar with, however a search of "hymod clay" brings this:

Imerys Ceramics | Products for Sanitaryware, Tableware, Tiles
    and
    Ball Clay | Imerys Minerals for the Petroleum Industry

The term Hymod clay would appear to cover several materials or several different uses for a class of materials. It is used in several applications from ceramics to simulated drill slurry. However, what are its heat transfer properties? They list in the specs the contraction at various fairly high temps and it's strength but nothing about heat transfer. Not saying it wouldn't work but this is the first time I have seen such a mixture.

Where did you get this particular recipe? Usually WFOs have a heat retaining layer surrounded by an insulating layer. However, cob WFOs and such are usually all one material....is this what you are doing? Sort of creating a high tech cob like material? Not criticizing, just trying to find out what you are doing/ asking.

Bests,
    Wiley

Comment

I work for a refractory production firm so this is a product we make I just thought I would.be a a good thing to use

Comment

Your mix will work fine and at 12" thick will be plenty to keep in the heat.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
        X