web analytics
Can't get the black off my ceiling - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

I'm Peter Reinhart! Ask Me Anything! Monday, February 15, 2016 7:00-8:00 pm EST

To kick off our AMA feature, we have invited author, chef and master bread maker and host of Pizza Quest, Peter Reinhart, to be our first host! Peter will be in the Forum on Monday, February 15th, from 7:00 - 8:00 pm EST. If you are unable to be online during the live session, you can post your questions in the sticky post. Peter will answer those questions during the live session on February 15th. You can view Peter's answers to your questions as well as what happened during the live session in the session thread.

Ask Me Anything New Forum Feature

You will notice a new forum at the top of the main page called, "Ask Me Anything". This forum will be used for live one hour "Ask Me Anything" (AMA) sessions hosted by people who are knowledgeable in different areas pertaining to wood fired ovens. How it works:
- Each AMA will have a "sticky" thread where the community can post questions they would like answered during the live session. This will allow everyone to participate even if you can't be online for the live session. These questions will not be answered by the host until the live AMA; if you need an answer quickly, you should post it in the appropriate Forum area for the community to respond.
- Another thread will be posted for the live AMA. Registered users who are logged in during the live session can interact with the host by asking questions and receiving responses.
- The live thread will remain in the AMA forum to view after the session.

We hope you enjoy this new feature! Please let us know if there is a topic that you'd like to have as an AMA and we'll look for a host!

Forno Bravo
See more
See less

Can't get the black off my ceiling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can't get the black off my ceiling

    I just built a barrel style bread oven and I think I've finished curing it. I've read that the oven is ready to cook pizza when the black burns off. I can't get there.
    Am I being timid with my wood?
    I've tried pizza anyway and the edges burn but underneath it feels boiled and underdone.

  • #2
    Re: Can't get the black off my ceiling

    Sounds like the oven is still wet....keep on burning and it should get better. I hope you have insulation under your floor or it will really take a long time. 7-8 sticks of dry oak the size of your forearm take about a hour to make my dome white...try reading a little further down in the forum about heat management...
    " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Can't get the black off my ceiling

      Thanks!
      I'm going to keep burning.
      I do have perlite under the base.
      I'll keep looking into the forum.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Can't get the black off my ceiling

        Originally posted by pastorryanhayden View Post
        I just built a barrel style bread oven and I think I've finished curing it. I've read that the oven is ready to cook pizza when the black burns off. I can't get there.
        Am I being timid with my wood?
        I've tried pizza anyway and the edges burn but underneath it feels boiled and underdone.
        Hi Pastor,

        I think its a degree of mindset. It sounds to me as if you're firing your oven as if you're going to Heaven, when you should be firing it as if you're living in Hell! If you really want to clear it, "Let it rip", you're be forgiven, when divinely hits the plates.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Can't get the black off my ceiling

          Originally posted by pastorryanhayden View Post
          Thanks!
          I'm going to keep burning.
          I do have perlite under the base.
          I'll keep looking into the forum.
          When you say perlite under the base do you mean under your oven floor or under the structural support fo the oven?

          It should be top to bottom..

          Inside of oven
          Oven floor
          Insulating layer
          Structural support
          Ground
          Chip

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Can't get the black off my ceiling

            Thanks for the help guys.
            I fired it up full bore (at least with the wood that I had handy) today and got the back of the oven white. I think if I wait a little longer to push back my wood I should be able to get the whole thing white next time.
            Chip - My oven is set up as you recommended, with a perlite insulating layer underneath the oven floor and above the base.
            Laurentius - your post made me laugh out loud, and made me a little bolder in firing the oven. Thanks.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Can't get the black off my ceiling

              Originally posted by pastorryanhayden View Post
              Thanks for the help guys.
              I fired it up full bore (at least with the wood that I had handy) today and got the back of the oven white. I think if I wait a little longer to push back my wood I should be able to get the whole thing white next time.
              Chip - My oven is set up as you recommended, with a perlite insulating layer underneath the oven floor and above the base.
              Laurentius - your post made me laugh out loud, and made me a little bolder in firing the oven. Thanks.
              Sounds like your insulation is fine but you still are not burning hot or long enough to get the whole oven white, it is possible you have some moisture still lurking and the wood usage and heat up will continue to improve with repeated use. High density dry wood is a critical condition for a hot fire, pine, and other soft woods will not get you to the place you want to go.
              Chip

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Can't get the black off my ceiling

                mate I'm building a barrel shape one too, any chance for some photos of yours? I encountered some issues with mine and could use other's designs. BTW where did you lace your chimney? outside or inside (behind or in front the door that is)?

                When I used to get black ceilings on the oven at my work place, I always got rid of it by blazing the shit out of it.. just chuck more logs inside it won't explode on ya

                Comment

                Working...
                X