web analytics
Fire Pit/Oven Combo - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Fire Pit/Oven Combo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Pit/Oven Combo

Great site! I would like your thoughts on an idea I have.

i'm planning to build a fire pit in my backyard for bonfires (pit would be about 3ft high and 3ft in diameter) and I'm wondering if there is a way to make a removable lid/cover so that I can use the pit as an oven too. I can put a slot in the front of the pit which would act as an air/breather hole and double as an oven opening when the lid is on (so that I can stoke the fire and insert/remove bread or pizza or whatever. Does anyone have any thoughts on how I could construct a removable over lid?

Thanks!
    Ben

Re: Fire Pit/Oven Combo

I had a client make a cover out of diamond plate for the pit I built him. Of course, I also built an oven for him too, so no need to use it that way.

A firepit will make a lousy oven, unless you insulate all around it, and the cover is insulated too. Also, you would have to kneel down to use it. A 3' diameter is tiny and a 3' high wall will look aesthetically weird...either a like deep hole or a sawed off chimney.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Re: Fire Pit/Oven Combo

It would make a good barbecue spit, but somewhat inconvenient.

Comment

Working...
      X