web analytics
Fire Brick Or Concrete? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

Fire Brick Or Concrete?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Brick Or Concrete?

Hi All,

I want to build a pizza oven in my back yard this summer. I've looked through some of the posts here and had a few questions.

I know fire brick is the preferred material, but is there some type of cast-able material (i.e. concrete) that would work well? This would allow me to build a concrete form, or order a custom half circle form and make the cooking chamber in one piece.

Do fire bricks come in other shapes? I've only seen brick, and wedge shapes online. Do arch shapes exist?

Are there precast dome sections that I could buy? I created a quick mock-up of this idea using 4 keystoned arch shapes.

Also has anyone had any success with kiln bricks? I found these online and they seem like a good option.

Please see the attached images for examples of what I'm describing. Also If you could please link me to a post/discussion on oven sizes, that would be great. I'm curious to see how big I should make my oven.

Thank you
    Attached Files

Re: Fire Brick Or Concrete?

I M O unless you use refractory concrete to cast ur oven ..it wont hold up to the intense heat.. there are some here who have cast their ovens.. good luck!
    “Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.”

Home Sweet Home~ Colorado Springs ~

Re: Fire Brick Or Concrete?

If you want to cast a dome the stuff to use is dense castable refractory. Do not use insulating castable refractory. Also you should use at least 2% stainless steel needles, call ed melt extract fibres.Both of these products can be obtained from a refractory supplier. The stuff is expensive and designed for temperatures about three times greater than you will subject them to. If the price puts you off too much you can use the homebrew mortar, which is really cheap and works pretty well, but don't know how it will hold up after about 5 years of heavy use.

Regarding the bricks you should make sure they are dense firebricks and not insulating ones. It is easy to tell the difference, the insulators are ridiculously light.

If you are looking for a precast dome there are plenty available, try FB first.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.