web analytics
could I build directly on top of brick patio and forgo the slab? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.


To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

could I build directly on top of brick patio and forgo the slab?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • could I build directly on top of brick patio and forgo the slab?

    I'm moving into a new old home with a large patio in the backyard. It is made of regular clay bricks laid on the flat side. I believe they are loose-laid directly on top of the dirt, which here in the desert is very hard, really more like sand. No mortar that I can see. I haven't checked the grade to see how it slopes, but the few times a year when it does rain, the water should quickly soak through the gaps between bricks and into the sand. No seismic activity out here, nor any other severe environmental effects, other than extreme heat, which isn't harmful to masonry.

    So could I skip the concrete slab and just start laying slump blocks right on top of the patio bricks? The patio is raised about 12" above the "floor" area where I would be working, which would mean my slump block stand could be 12" less tall than the Pompeii plans call for

  • #2
    Re: could I build directly on top of brick patio and forgo the slab?

    Hello Tyler,

    The issue I see is the weight of the oven. By the time you finish building there is a significant weight on the base. The slab gives stability and strength.

    The last thing you want is to finish building the oven and find that one side subsides. You may not be aware of what is underneath the pavers.

    Good Luck

    Craig
    "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

    Spike Milligan

    "It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
    The Pirate Captain

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: could I build directly on top of brick patio and forgo the slab?

      Tyler,
      I assume you are talking about paver's. In a perfect world they would have laid some base, compacted it, and then set them on 1 inch of sand. The block will span 2-3 brick and you would be golden. But... If you don't know that this is the case, I would lift the brick and pour a shallow pad w/ some steel. It doesn't add that much cost and you will have piece of mind. You are blessed with your environment - sand and a 1/16 inch frost line
      Last edited by Les; 10-07-2012, 06:30 PM.
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

      If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: could I build directly on top of brick patio and forgo the slab?

        Originally posted by Les View Post
        Tyler,
        I assume you are talking about paver's. In a perfect world they would have laid some base, compacted it, and then set them on 1 inch of sand. The block will span 2-3 brick and you would be golden. But... If you don't know that this is the case, I would lift the brick and pour a shallow pad w/ some steel. It doesn't add that much cost and you will have piece of mind. You are blessed with your environment - sand and a 1/16 inch frost line
        not pavers. red clay brick like you would use to build a house. the stuff Chicago is built of. whadyya think?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: could I build directly on top of brick patio and forgo the slab?

          Originally posted by TylerDavis View Post
          not pavers. red clay brick like you would use to build a house. the stuff Chicago is built of. whadyya think?
          Usually houses are built with cores. You mentioned they were flat so they are obviously solids. Again, if someone is putting them down for traffic, they may have done it correctly. Here is a test. Pull ONE brick - see what is underneath. If you go down a little and hit crushed rock, you are probably good to build.
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

          If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: could I build directly on top of brick patio and forgo the slab?

            Originally posted by Les View Post
            Usually houses are built with cores. You mentioned they were flat so they are obviously solids. Again, if someone is putting them down for traffic, they may have done it correctly. Here is a test. Pull ONE brick - see what is underneath. If you go down a little and hit crushed rock, you are probably good to build.
            yes, they're solids. I'll pull one and report back

            Comment

            Working...
            X