web analytics
First post and about to pour cement.. - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

New Forno Bravo Forum Feature

Forno Bravo Forum Community,

You will notice a new forum at the top of the main page called, "Ask Me Anything". This forum will be used for live one hour "Ask Me Anything" (AMA) sessions hosted by people who are knowledgeable in different areas pertaining to wood fired ovens. How it works:
- Each AMA will have a "sticky" thread where the community can post questions they would like answered during the live session. This will allow everyone to participate even if you can't be online for the live session. These questions will not be answered by the host until the live AMA; if you need an answer quickly, you should post it in the appropriate Forum area for the community to respond.
- Another thread will be posted for the live AMA. Registered users who are logged in during the live session can interact with the host by asking questions and receiving responses.
- The live thread will remain in the AMA forum to view after the session.

To kick off our AMA feature, we have invited author, chef and master bread maker and host of Pizza Quest, Peter Reinhart, to be our first host! Peter will be in the Forum on Monday, February 15th, from 7:00 - 8:00 pm EST. If you are unable to be online during the live session, you can post your questions in the sticky post. Peter will answer those questions during the live session on February 15th. You can view Peter's answers to your questions as well as what happened during the live session in the session thread.

We hope you enjoy this new feature! Please let us know if there is a topic that you'd like to have as an AMA and we'll look for a host!

Forno Bravo
See more
See less

First post and about to pour cement..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First post and about to pour cement..

I got bitten by the bug......I want to build a smallish Pompeii style oven. I'm about to pour a 3.5ft X 3.5ft x 4 inch thick pad with wire mesh for support using Sakrete pro 5000 PSI cement. Using cinder block U shape for the walls reinforced by rebar. Everything else is up in the air. My wife says what I have so far is too big as it is! LOL.

Any recommendations for the size of the top and oven would be greatly appreciated. Simpler the better.

Re: First post and about to pour cement..

Jay
    Welcome to the quest. My thought at this point is that a 3.5 ft. slab (42") will house an oven of internal size of 27" max. That is fine if you want that size. Also, a square slab does not allow room for an entry/landing to work the oven.

Do you have some plans you could post? Take some pics and post of your site so we can see what you are planning.
    Texman
    My Progress:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Put some rebar (with hooked ends) in instead of WWF. This will give considerably more strength than mesh alone.

In fact you can skip the mesh (WWF or Welded Wire Fabric). WWF use is primary for crack control in non loaded slabs such as sidewalks.

Comment

If your wife says it's too big (I never get that complaint) you should go bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
          If your wife says it's too big (I never get that complaint) you should go bigger.
          That was funny!
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Working...
          X