web analytics
Hello from Maine - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

Hello from Maine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Maine

Hi folks, my name is Stew and I have been humbled by my efforts to build a brick oven.

Well, now that the snow has melted and the weather is starting to warm. I (crazily) decided to add a brick oven to my backyard for the family. With limited funds, I decided to put it in myself. I think I must be crazy. I quickly found that I am NOT a stone mason and now have a whole lot of respect for those folks.

I know now that many here have poured a slab foundation and constructed the C shape block stand with a slab on top. I did not because of concern of cost and lack of know how. Instead I dug down to pure sand (they back filled my yard with sand when they built it) then laid down crushed stone, tamped and dry stacked blocks in a rectangle. I then filled every other hole with rebar and concrete. So now I'm left with this stand that I plan on filling with sand and a layer of insulation (clay and vermiculite).

Unfortunately the stand is not completely level when you measure it, but it looks pretty good from a distance. I'm going to continue to do the best I can with the pizza oven following plans here and getting advice from forum folks. Wish I had started here but I didn't. Right now I'm shopping around trying to find the lowest cost on firebrick. So far I've found $2 per brick.

I'll post pics of my block stand as soon as I can figure it out. I have a driving desire to complete this thing.

Re: Hello from Maine

I would hesitate to build on a dry stack foundation, especially if it is on sand.

Good luck.

Comment

Pizza oven pictures by radiostew - Photobucket

Here are some pics of my block stand. I was told that sand was very compact and would not heave or move very much. Also, I thought the FB guidelines recommended dry stacking. Could anyone explain? Thanks

Comment

Dry stacking and "at least" pouring every other hole is fine by FB standards. However, they do recomend placing it on a concrete slab. Your pics don't resemble dry stacking. They look like the blocks were layed in mortar. However, I don't see a reinforced concrete slab supporting it. My suggestion: Don't go to any further "expense" until you do have a slab to build it on. That may mean disassembling the blocks now instead of the entire oven later.
        Just Say'n
        I don't care what folks say behind my back........They are either braggin' or.......lyin'

joe watson

My Build
        My Picasa Web Album

Comment

Working...
        X