web analytics
Newbie firebrick Q... - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

Newbie firebrick Q...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie firebrick Q...

This is the summer I finally build my pizza oven,therefore I have a few Q's. I live in New Brunswick,Canada, I'm a former carpenter now employed as a winemaker at a U-Brew-It shop. So I'm fairly good with all sorts of tools and concepts,etc.I most likely will be building an Adobe oven I first saw featured in Harrowsmith Country Life magazine 6 years ago. My question is about firebricks for the oven floor. The ones I can source in my area are rather expensive for the 9x4.5x2.5 in bricks. The other choice is from a hardware store. They are only 1.25 in thick and most likely are the insulating kind used in wood stoves. They are about 25% less expensive. Are these suitable for the floor at all? They will be set uopn a base of sand over concrete. Thanks...more Q's as time goes on.....andy j.

Welcome

Keep looking for a better source of firebricks. We found some used firebricks and repurposed them for our oven (on Craigslist).

The thinner bricks would work IF they do not float in water (insulating firebricks float in water and would cripple the performance of your oven).
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.
    Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is here.
    An album showing our Thermal Breaks is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Re: Newbie firebrick Q...

Thanks for that....I sourced some proper firebrick. I also acquired some great red clay material that apparently has 33% sand,33% silt,33% clay in the mix. I'm hoping now to build a cob type of oven with a brick arch door. Now I just have to figure out the proper sand to clay mixture for the different layers. Does anyone care to give opinions on this.? I've read different theories on this on the internet and i'm wondering which mix actually works best.

Comment

Thanks....which plans do you speak of?

Comment

Hi Grapenut,

Doug is referring to the Forno Bravo Pompeii WFO plans, they're free to download, just go to eBooks & CD ROMs :: Forno Bravo Store and click on the Pompeii Oven Instruction eBook V2.0 and follow the registration instructions. It seems like you're going to buy something, but worry not! Tis entirely free, and it is chock full of great information for building your own WFO, even if you're not building the Pompeii.
          The Melbourne Fire Brick Company

Comment

Working...
          X