web analytics
Hearth insulation layer - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

Things are progressing in getting things back in order on the Forum! User avatars should be showing up. Attachment and inline images are in the process of being uploaded. We are still looking for a migration path for the Photoplog gallery. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Hearth insulation layer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearth insulation layer

Hello all, working on foundation for an earth oven, up to the insulation layer for the hearth and had some questions,

Just wanted be sure I understood the mix. Portland cement and vermiculite mixed ratio of 5 or six to one, (I assume the measure is by volume in dry state for both) nothing else added like sand or rock. Also, I read one of the threads where someone had better success by mixing the Portland cement separately into kind of slurry and adding it to the vermiculite in a separate container than mixing into kind of an oatmeal state. Oh, how about the reinforcing rods, I am pouring a 6.5 diameter circular base, seems some say rods on 12 inch centers and others on 8 inch centers. Or can the wire screen be substituted.

Thanks for the advice!!

Re: Hearth insulation layer

six to one is fine. No sand or gravel. Mixing a slurry first is simpler. When mixing the vermiculite and cement - mix gently (by hand not machine) so as not do break down the vermiculite particles and reduce insulation value.

For rebar in the suspended slab, I suggest either 8 inch spacing for 1/5 inch diameter rebar or 6 inches for 3/8 inch rebar (the 3/8 is much easier to work with). Both ways, in a grid. Re-bar is cheap. Wire mesh (WWF) should not be substituted for rebar.

Comment

Working...
    X