web analytics
Hearth slab and oven floof question - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

1 of 3 < >

Forum Page Loading Response

Forum Members:

We have received feedback regarding recent issues with page loading response time. We believe the slow response issue stems from the analytics we added with the new Forum. We are in the process of reconfiguring those elements and, after an approximate 24-hour time period for the reconfiguration to run, we anticipate a return to normal page load times. Thank you for your patience!
2 of 3 < >

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum members.

As many may have noticed already, the Community Forum site was briefly down today. While working on scheduled routine maintenance, we encountered an error when trying to add a software update. As the site is now back up and running, some of you may notice that some recent data has been misplaced from November 10th up to today. We are currently working on resolving the issue. The forum has full operational capabilities and we encourage all forum members to continue actively posting in the threads.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this issue may have caused you. The Forno Bravo family values each and every member of our community. If you have any issues or concerns, please feel free to let us know on our issues thread here:

Thank you for understanding.
3 of 3 < >

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

Hearth slab and oven floof question

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearth slab and oven floof question

Hi all... newbie here who may have goofed...

I'm building a WFO in a picnic grove behind my tavern. My primary use is to make pizzas some evenings all day (if possible) on weekends.

The hearth slab is curing now, but I put the vermiculite layer (~3") under the concrete layer (~3") which seems to be out of favor due to excessive thermal mass.

My questions:

1) Should I leave it as is or add another insulating layer on top of the concrete? If so, what material and how thick?

2) Should I make the hearth floor 2.5" or 4.5" thick?

Thanks in advance, I look forward to your responses and hope to contribute photos and lessons learned along the way.

~Gypsy (aka Scott)

Re: Hearth slab and oven floof question

I guess I'm going to add another 4" of vermiculite concrete for the oven floor and go with 2.5" floor height -- seems to be what most here have done.

That sounds like a good compromise.

That's exactly what I would do too at this point, although that will add an additional 4" of height to your oven.....if that matters at all, especially for someone shorter than you operating the oven.

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

If you are worried about the oven being too high, consider using the 2" FB board instead of the vermicrete. That will save you 2".

"although that will add an additional 4" of height to your oven"

Try it at that height. Many prefer a quite high floor so they can see in with out bending over. If it is too high you can always raise your patio !

I thought my oven was high enough but I still have to stoop over to see the back of the oven but it's not an issue for me. Although I have to say that the 4" vermicrete is vital because you dont want the slab sucking away the heat from your cooking floor. Having a lot of thermal mass will make it difficult for you to get to pizza temperature for your cooking surface.

Unless you are doing a lot of retained heat cooking I'd leave the floor at 2.5" rather than 4.5". It's hard enough as it is to get the floor to pizza temp.

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
              WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
              Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)