web analytics
We are designing a traditional Mexican horno. Sort of. . . . - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

Things are progressing in getting things back in order on the Forum! User avatars should be showing up. Attachment and inline images are in the process of being uploaded. We are still looking for a migration path for the Photoplog gallery. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

We are designing a traditional Mexican horno. Sort of. . . .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are designing a traditional Mexican horno. Sort of. . . .

We are attempting to rebuild an existing "beehive" style, traditional horno. It is outside. It has been fired by wood, doesn't hold heat, etc. etc.

I'll tell you what I am planning to and am looking for serious critique since Marilyn and I are stabbing in the dark at this.

We are going to level it to the base. We will add a propane fired ring (24" diameter) and above that, a soapstone oven floor. We want to be able to control the fire via thermo-couples and a BBQ type knob/dial to set the heat. The dome will be vented and made of fire bricks. So far, so good, I think. I have all kinds advice, but not sure what to believe.

First question: What type of fire brick? Heat absorbing, or heat reflecting? Second: Anyone know what they are called in Mexico?
    Third: it has been suggested that the bricks for the dome be on end. True or false?

I'm sure I will have more questions.
Working...
X