web analytics
questions on re-pointing 40 year old fire brick - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

New Forno Bravo Forum Feature

Forno Bravo Forum Community,

You will notice a new forum at the top of the main page called, "Ask Me Anything". This forum will be used for live one hour "Ask Me Anything" (AMA) sessions hosted by people who are knowledgeable in different areas pertaining to wood fired ovens. How it works:
- Each AMA will have a "sticky" thread where the community can post questions they would like answered during the live session. This will allow everyone to participate even if you can't be online for the live session. These questions will not be answered by the host until the live AMA; if you need an answer quickly, you should post it in the appropriate Forum area for the community to respond.
- Another thread will be posted for the live AMA. Registered users who are logged in during the live session can interact with the host by asking questions and receiving responses.
- The live thread will remain in the AMA forum to view after the session.

To kick off our AMA feature, we have invited author, chef and master bread maker and host of Pizza Quest, Peter Reinhart, to be our first host! Peter will be in the Forum on Monday, February 15th, from 7:00 - 8:00 pm EST. If you are unable to be online during the live session, you can post your questions in the sticky post. Peter will answer those questions during the live session on February 15th. You can view Peter's answers to your questions as well as what happened during the live session in the session thread.

We hope you enjoy this new feature! Please let us know if there is a topic that you'd like to have as an AMA and we'll look for a host!

Forno Bravo
See more
See less

questions on re-pointing 40 year old fire brick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions on re-pointing 40 year old fire brick

Hello and thanks for tolerating my ignorance. If this project did not risk burning by house down in a Rumford-style firebox, I would just use my physics knowledge and give it a roll.

ISSUE:
    40 year old Rumford box needs some repointing, no less than 1/2 inch (UTLTIMATE MAXIMUM) and I have already removed weak or failed mortar with a wire wheel on an speed drill/

SEEKING:
    Best recommendations on re-pointing mortar Mix. Purchased a product from "Rutland" but it only certifies to 2000 F where I know the fire bricks in my box can get a lot hotter than that (White Hot) on a cool night which I think is hotter than 2000 F.\\

ADVICE: DIY MORTAR in 1/8 layers or use the Rutland? Please I need expertise./formulae?

Thank you sincerely.

Marinecraft

Re: questions on re-pointing 40 year old fire brick

I don't know much about Rumsford Ovens (as far as I know their distinguishing feature is a geometry which reflects more heat out into the room), but I would be very suprised if your oven was getting as hot as 2000F. Unless you are using a blower on it or burning something other than firewood, I suspect your peak temperatures would not exceed 1500F and the Rutland product you bought should be fine. Do you have a friend with a fireplace and a themometer that you can measure the temperature of the firebrick wall?

Regards,
    AT

PS: You might be more concerned about the chimney - as that is where most of your heat is going anyway. If the lower portion of your firebox is in need of repair I wouldn't assume that the chimney was any better.
    Last edited by ATK406; 02-25-2014, 10:38 AM. Reason: added PS

Comment

Re: questions on re-pointing 40 year old fire brick

Your 40 yr old fire box was probably built with mortar or a portland/fire clay mortar. You should remove as much failed material as possible to a minimum depth of 1" before you repoint it.

Normally you don't want to have any joints more than 1/8-1/4 wide when using refractory mixes. The temp rating is fine on the Rutland mortar ( they make good product) and it should be suitable for what you are doing. A portland/fireclay mix will be ok too.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
      X