web analytics
questions on re-pointing 40 year old fire brick - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

questions on re-pointing 40 year old fire brick

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions on re-pointing 40 year old fire brick

Hello and thanks for tolerating my ignorance. If this project did not risk burning by house down in a Rumford-style firebox, I would just use my physics knowledge and give it a roll.

40 year old Rumford box needs some repointing, no less than 1/2 inch (UTLTIMATE MAXIMUM) and I have already removed weak or failed mortar with a wire wheel on an speed drill/

Best recommendations on re-pointing mortar Mix. Purchased a product from "Rutland" but it only certifies to 2000 F where I know the fire bricks in my box can get a lot hotter than that (White Hot) on a cool night which I think is hotter than 2000 F.\\

ADVICE: DIY MORTAR in 1/8 layers or use the Rutland? Please I need expertise./formulae?

Thank you sincerely.

Re: questions on re-pointing 40 year old fire brick

I don't know much about Rumsford Ovens (as far as I know their distinguishing feature is a geometry which reflects more heat out into the room), but I would be very suprised if your oven was getting as hot as 2000F. Unless you are using a blower on it or burning something other than firewood, I suspect your peak temperatures would not exceed 1500F and the Rutland product you bought should be fine. Do you have a friend with a fireplace and a themometer that you can measure the temperature of the firebrick wall?

PS: You might be more concerned about the chimney - as that is where most of your heat is going anyway. If the lower portion of your firebox is in need of repair I wouldn't assume that the chimney was any better.
    Last edited by ATK406; 02-25-2014, 10:38 AM. Reason: added PS

Re: questions on re-pointing 40 year old fire brick

Your 40 yr old fire box was probably built with mortar or a portland/fire clay mortar. You should remove as much failed material as possible to a minimum depth of 1" before you repoint it.

Normally you don't want to have any joints more than 1/8-1/4 wide when using refractory mixes. The temp rating is fine on the Rutland mortar ( they make good product) and it should be suitable for what you are doing. A portland/fireclay mix will be ok too.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin