web analytics
New Guy needs help - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

Things are progressing in getting things back in order on the Forum! User avatars should be showing up. Attachment and inline images are in the process of being uploaded. We are still looking for a migration path for the Photoplog gallery. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

New Guy needs help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy needs help

Greetings all,

I am building a 42" Pompeii. I poured the insulating layer of concrete. I followed the instructions mixing 5 to 1 vermiculite to Portland cement. Thoroughly mixed it dry, mixed it wet and poured. I screed it off. It has been poured for 4 days now. It set up well and is very firm BUT the surface has some give if I press my finger on it. Is that normal or have I done this wrong?

Advice please! Thanks in advance.

Re: New Guy needs help

BigC,

This is Reg, I just poured my insulating layer of concrete today and I'm experiencing the same level of uncertainty: that layer gives a little when pressed with finger. What did you finally discover after after your pour?

Comment

Hi Reg,

I found out the the finished insulation layer should feel a bit like a cork. It give a bit when you press on it. It's edges also flake of and the top is easily gouged or marked. I used the mud (sand and fire clay) to even out the marks and lay a level floor. It has high compression strength. It's wired but it sounds like you are doing it right.

Comment

Here is a picture of the oven floor and first course.
        Attached Files

Comment

Here is the just poured insulation layer
          Attached Files
          Last edited by TheBigC; 06-04-2013, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Here is a close up of the dried insulation layer.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X