web analytics
Hola! From Hell Paso and beyond - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

Things are progressing in getting things back in order on the Forum! User avatars should be showing up. Attachment and inline images are in the process of being uploaded. We are still looking for a migration path for the Photoplog gallery. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Hola! From Hell Paso and beyond

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hola! From Hell Paso and beyond

I'm Reesa, and I am going to build the cheapest WFO I can create. Hopefully it will be a work of art for edible arts, and it will stand up to whatever I throw at it.

I have become passionate about baking and pizza in general after running across a strange contraption I found at pizzamaking.com which many of you are already familiar with, and others may be interested in (The Little Black Egg).

Only recently have I decided to build a WFO using found objects, and will most likely use a little bit of knowledge from all over the web to consolidate into a workable oven for my backyard. I am inspired by every method found here...true artisans in every sense of the word, whether building with cob, brick, or castables.

From all that I have read and tried to absorb, I sense that this is a giving community, and can't wait to begin building and picking y'alls brains, once I have gathered many of my materials.

Re: Hola! From Hell Paso and beyond

Welcome Resa, dig in!

I used recycled firebricks for my oven. Keep an eye on craigslist for inexpensive tools and materials.
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.
    Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is here.
    An album showing our Thermal Breaks is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Don't skimp on the insulation, stick to what has been proven to work - perlite/vermiculite concrete, refractory fiber board & blanket. If you shop around you can find reasonable pricing on all.

RT

Comment

Thanks for the welcome.

I have slowly been gathering items for my build...craigslist is definitely a help. I am just about set to start building the base next week...but it has been raining a lot lately, so I may have to wait.

I will build my base using the earthbag/sandbag method and have just found that my wish for barbed wire to tie the sandbags together has been granted! (plenty of it and free). I already have a stockpile of sandbags, and I will seal the outer surfaces of the build with chicken wire covered by concrete and stucco (which has been sitting in my storage building).

I have around 70 to 80 insulating firebrick which I will use for under the main deck. I may have enough leftover to make a layer of insulation over my cob dome as well, and I want to try this method to see how it works, and not because it is tested, tried and true...I don't doubt it will work just swell.

I do have a friend in construction who is avidly searching for firebrick for my deck. I wish I could just go to McKinney Wrecking and get some of their $1 salvaged firebrick, but I know a ton of those bricks came out of ASARCO, and I just can't chance dealing with bricks used in a Copper Smelter...too bad they can't tell me where each brick came from. New bricks will cost me $2.50 each here if I cannot find them in the wild.

I purchased 100 pounds of fireclay powder for 40 bucks. We have an abundance of good varieties of desert sand here to create a nice sandform and for the cob mixture. If I find I need more clay, I will just dig some up from my cousin's backyard.

I guess I'll start a new thread once I begin the real work. Thanks to all the information found on the many great oven building sites and blogs I feel like I know exactly how to build this thing. Let's see how it pans out....

Comment

Working...
        X