web analytics
Cutting roll of insulation to fit dome - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

Things are progressing in getting things back in order on the Forum! User avatars should be showing up. Attachment and inline images are in the process of being uploaded. We are still looking for a migration path for the Photoplog gallery. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Cutting roll of insulation to fit dome

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting roll of insulation to fit dome

The insulation roll is 24 inches wide. How to cut it for
    good coverage and minimum waste? I have not solved
    the question of how to make triangles fit? Just slap dash
    draping and overlapping seems crude and wasteful. Any
    ideas will be appreciated. I could not find much information
    searching threads and photos. Thanks. Careme in NC

Re: Cutting roll of insulation to fit dome

C,

You may want to post your question under the construction thread, will see more response there. Here is a pic of my CF and where I cut (V's for the curvature and Squares where the blanket seams are butted together). My CF was 48" wide and I cut 32" x 48" squares and installed horizontal. I took alot of care in cutting and fitting since I am doing an igloo and wanted to maintain the dome shape. If you do an enclosure then the fitting is not quite a critical. Can't emphasize enough to insulate, insulate, insulate.
    Attached Files

Comment

I found cutting equilateral triangle the best method, just lay them head to toe.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I cut about 4 or 5 triangles for my first oven, which went from the base to the top, but found I had to belly the sides out in a curve so they would fit the curve of the dome. Straight triangles give you gaps between them when bent around the sphere.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I draped the blanket over/around the dome, then cut the wrinkles with a scissors-style hedge clipper - make a single cut and overlap the edges, or two cuts, remove the wedge, and butt the edges. Overlap the seams on successive layers.

Comment

Working...
          X