web analytics
Oven Insulation - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Oven Insulation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven Insulation

I just completed insulating my oven, but I'm so sure I did it correctly. I mixed 10 parts of vermiculite to 1 part portland cement and 3 parts of water. I also place three layers of heavy duty aluminum foil over the bricks and then proceeded to put wire mesh over the foil then the insulation. From what I see of some of the mixture that fell on the ground and dryed it's very loose and I'm afraid when I take the forms away it will crumble. did I do it right? will it crumble should I stucco it? Help!

Re: Oven Insulation

It should harden up sufficiently for you to stucco over it.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

hi David,
      how long do I need to wait before I can remove the forms around it

Comment

I don't use forms, but rather just press the mixture in place and tap the outer surface with the flat of a trowel. If you've used formwork I hope you oiled the face of the forms, otherwise I think it will stick. 24 Hrs should be sufficient for it to harden enough. Making the mixture stronger by adding more cement is a mistake in that you reduce the insulation efficiency. You want it just strong enough to stand up on its own and be firm enough to take the stucco coat. A 10:1 mix seems about right.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks David for the quick response. I didn't oil the form.
          I built a barrel type oven. I may use stucco or I might just
          Brick the walls and put a roof over it

Comment

Working...
          X