web analytics
Picture of Newport oven - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

New Forno Bravo Forum Feature

Forno Bravo Forum Community,

You will notice a new forum at the top of the main page called, "Ask Me Anything". This forum will be used for live one hour "Ask Me Anything" (AMA) sessions hosted by people who are knowledgeable in different areas pertaining to wood fired ovens. How it works:
- Each AMA will have a "sticky" thread where the community can post questions they would like answered during the live session. This will allow everyone to participate even if you can't be online for the live session. These questions will not be answered by the host until the live AMA; if you need an answer quickly, you should post it in the appropriate Forum area for the community to respond.
- Another thread will be posted for the live AMA. Registered users who are logged in during the live session can interact with the host by asking questions and receiving responses.
- The live thread will remain in the AMA forum to view after the session.

To kick off our AMA feature, we have invited author, chef and master bread maker and host of Pizza Quest, Peter Reinhart, to be our first host! Peter will be in the Forum on Monday, February 15th, from 7:00 - 8:00 pm EST. If you are unable to be online during the live session, you can post your questions in the sticky post. Peter will answer those questions during the live session on February 15th. You can view Peter's answers to your questions as well as what happened during the live session in the session thread.

We hope you enjoy this new feature! Please let us know if there is a topic that you'd like to have as an AMA and we'll look for a host!

Forno Bravo
See more
See less

Picture of Newport oven

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picture of Newport oven

I have attached a picture, hopefully, of the Pompeii style oven when work had to cease due to the onset of the cold weather. Closing the space between the cement board roof and the terra cotta roof tiles in the front and back with stucco remains to be done.
    Fred Di Napoli

Nice-looking oven

Fred:

Very nice-looking oven.

Is there some technical reason you're going to stucco that space between the roof and the tiles? Cosmetically I think it looks fine. As long as it's staying dry inside, I might leave it as is, if it were mine.

If you take a look at my oven photos, you'll see I took pains to seal all parts of the roof so everything was tight as a drum. Now I'm not convinced that was necessary. As long as you have a good roof that's keeping everything dry inside, I don't think it will hurt things if it breathes a little. Maybe some others here who have more construction experience will disagree.

By the way, are you in Newport, Rhode Island?

Again, Fred, very nice work.

George

Comment

George

Thanks for the compliments. I went over board with the roof design, as well as with other components of the oven. The cement board for the roof had a seam and I was concerned that it might let moisture in over time especially if I could not get the terra cotta roof tiles in place before the cold weather set in.

I covered the entire roof with a rubber roofing membrane made for exterior use to alleviate my concerns. The combination should keep out moisture. In retrospect it would have been less costly and quicker if I had just bought 2 more sheets of cement board and lived with the surplus.

The reason for wanting to close the space is thus cosmetic in nature. I did not realize it until looking at the picture but it does not show the ridge cap tiles. They are of a clover leaf design that has an open space the entire length of the roof that is close to 3" high and does not look very nice. If I close that space I might as well close the remaining spaces as well.
      Fred Di Napoli

Comment

Working...
      X