web analytics
reducing and freezing tomatoes - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

reducing and freezing tomatoes

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reducing and freezing tomatoes

For the last few years we have been growing the fabulous heritage tomato 'Sicilian Saucer'', as the name suggests it's as big as a saucer .. regularly over 1 lb! It's a beefsteak /paste , a bit lumpy and with enclosures of pith , but the taste! . You need a 7ft stake of hefty dimensions to hold them and even in the short summer of the Ottawa Valley in Canada they are are bomb proof .
    The day after I bake bread , when the oven is about f.275 I put a 16X20 inch pan of cut up SS in the oven for 10-12 hrs .. they reduce down to 1/3 their size and never having boiled retain all of their flavour .. I put them in a bag , give them a bang to knock out the air and freeze.. when you want sauce Just cut a chunk off , throw it in a pan and instant sauce .. I mean instant .. of course you can chop off slivers of the frozen tomato , put it on a pizza crust and ..mmmmmmm!! you are done
    Attached Files

Re: reducing and freezing tomatoes

Yum - those look like "cuore di bue" tomatoes (at least, what I would call them )

I presume they are they quite dry and meaty (with few seeds) compared to the san marzano tomatoes?

They are meaty ,but not dry , one slice covers a large piece of bread ,, not too seedy , in my garden they ripen about 2 weeks ahead of the san marzanos. I have to cut them up quite a bit to reduce them . I get them from Wm. Damm Seeds Dundas Ont. but as a heritage tomato they may be avail. elsewhere too .. I havn't looked .
      Bon apetit.

I just googled ''sicilian saucer seeds'' they are all over .. some filed under GIANT vegetables .. they can get county fair sized!