web analytics
REALLY NEAT (IMHO) Pix of FIRE in the Oven! - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

REALLY NEAT (IMHO) Pix of FIRE in the Oven!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • REALLY NEAT (IMHO) Pix of FIRE in the Oven!

    These pix turned out better than I thought. I captured some great fire in the oven. In some of them, you can see the little log stand I made out of perforated angle iron (galvanized steel, actually) from the Home Despot. I love the way the flame really licks the dome.
    Attached Files
    There is nothing quite so satisfying as drinking a cold beer, while tending a hot fire, in an oven that you built yourself, and making the best pizza that your friends have ever had.

  • #2
    cool pics', but...

    Fio,

    The pictures are great but I would be a little leery of use the galvanized steel for cooking. Zink is not a very frindly element.

    For what it's worth;

    http://zenstoves.net/Warning.htm
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

    If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

    Comment


    • #3
      zinc poisoning

      Originally posted by Les
      Fio,

      The pictures are great but I would be a little leery of use the galvanized steel for cooking. Zink is not a very frindly element.

      For what it's worth;

      http://zenstoves.net/Warning.htm
      In my other life I deal with health questions. That quote looks a bit fishy, and when I looked for substantiating info on pubmed I find only some reference to welders exposed to metal fumes. That's quite a contraption fio has. While I agree cast iron is probably better, I don't know that I'd worry about food contamination. Zinc is used by some to "treat" colds, and the kidneys handle it fine. Fumes may be a lung issue, but should not affect pizza.

      Comment


      • #4
        yep along the same line of iron. When it was determined that my sister was anemic and needed more iron in her diet I gave her a few rusty nails to chew on.

        Some of the signs and symptoms of zinc poisioning are...
        Burning sensation (body), Metallic taste, Body pain, Shock,
        No urine output, Collapse, Convulsions, Fever, Chills, Cough,
        Shortness of breath, Yellow eyes or yellow skin, Rash, Vomiting,
        Watery or bloody diarrhea, Low blood pressure

        Of course most of these are signs and symtoms of toher ailments. Pay close attention to Metallic taste and the skin colour.

        the American Welding Society says this...
        Zinc oxide fumes cause a flu–like illness called Metal Fume Fever. Symptoms of Metal Fume Fever include headache, fever, chills, muscle aches, thirst, nausea, vomiting, chest soreness, fatigue, gastrointestinal pain, weakness, and tiredness. The symptoms usually start several hours after exposure; the attack may last 6 to 24 hours. Complete recovery generally occurs without intervention within 24 to 48 hours. Metal Fume Fever is more likely to occur after a period away from the job (after weekends or vacations). High levels of exposure may cause a metallic or sweet taste in the mouth, dry and irritated throat, thirst, and coughing at the time of the exposure. Several hours after exposure, a low–grade fever (seldom higher than 102_ F or 39_ C). Then comes sweating and chills before temperature returns to normal in 1 to 4 hours. If you encounter these symptoms, contact a physician and have a medical examination / evaluation. There is no information in the literature regarding the effects of long–term exposure to zinc oxide fumes.

        Fio is probably ok as it looks the stand is used during the heating portion and is pulled out before food is brought in. At most he will have some micro particulate deposits on the cooler parts of the dome and the vent/flu

        Finally zinc melts around 420/790 (C/F) and boils off at 907/1665 (C/F)

        Comment


        • #5
          Agreed

          I tend to agree with you both – that’s why I put “for what it’s worth”. I just remember way back in my shop days, the instructor said it was best not to forge or melt the product.

          PS – I need to stop posting in the AM – my spelling is terrible.
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

          If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

          Comment

          Working...
          X