web analytics
A Week in Provence - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

1 of 2 < >

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum members.

As many may have noticed already, the Community Forum site was briefly down today. While working on scheduled routine maintenance, we encountered an error when trying to add a software update. As the site is now back up and running, some of you may notice that some recent data has been misplaced from November 10th up to today. We are currently working on resolving the issue. The forum has full operational capabilities and we encourage all forum members to continue actively posting in the threads.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this issue may have caused you. The Forno Bravo family values each and every member of our community. If you have any issues or concerns, please feel free to let us know on our issues thread here:

Thank you for understanding.
2 of 2 < >

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

A Week in Provence

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Week in Provence

We had a great trip to Provence for spring break, and would recommend it very highly to brick oven owners, bread bakers and folks who enjoy history -- all of which describe me. We stayed in the west side of the province, staying in a village between Arles and Avignon. The medieval and Roman culture is fun, and what makes it all great is the food. The olive oil and wine are excellent (though not as good as Tuscan oil and Chianti ), and there are olive trees, vineyards and mills everywhere, plus large numbers of wood-fired ovens and unbelievable bread. Every tiny village seems to have at least 4-5 really good restaurants, 2-3 excellent outdoor bars and 4-5 boulongerie. The pizza isn't very good, but the range of food is great. We found the people to be warm and very welcoming, and everything is kid-friendly -- and it is definitely less chaotic than Italy.

On previous trips we've stayed on the east side of the province, which has access to the port towns, including Marseille, San Tropez, Canne, Nice, and the incredilby rich Monaco and Monte Carlo. If you want to see a bunch of Ferraris and Bentleys all at once, that's the place for you. The province is large and it is difficult to get from one side to the other as a day trip.

Arles has a good Roman Amphitheater, and Nime has a very good Aquaduct -- we've now seen amphitheaters in Arle, Frejus, Taragona, Verona, Rome and Pompeii (and one not yet excavated south of Toledo). I really enjoy Roman history. There is also a medieval castle with a number of working war catapults. I was thinking of posting a video -- it's very cool, though it reminds you of how much creative energy we have always put into war. But the kids loved it.

I took a bunch of photos, which I will post around the forum. And now it's back to work.
    Last edited by james; 04-14-2007, 02:15 PM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: A Week in Provence

This is me on top of the Arena in Arles, in 1987.

My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Re: A Week in Provence

Salut les gars!

This is me, circa 1960, on a rock at Les Beaux de Provence (I believe - but those with local knowledge please correct me!)... I was staying at Aix-en-Provence with an artisan family making lamps from raphia straw, drank horrendous amounts of red and caroused with les copains throughout the nights, roaming the streets and chanting at full blast "aie aie aie l'afrique du nord, OAS les assassins!" Don't know how i survived this, with all the colons returned from Algeria...

Dmun, good place that arena: I watched a bullfight there arund that time!

A bientot,

Attached Files
      Last edited by carioca; 04-14-2007, 08:27 PM. Reason: forgot the snapshot
      "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"