web analytics
***Reducing Balsamic*** - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

***Reducing Balsamic***

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***Reducing Balsamic***

Hi All,
    I was reading in a thread yesterday about reducing Balsamic vinegar to a syrup.... How exactly does one go about doing this,,, I'm Still learning to cook and I've seen this come up a few times "reduction" any help appreciated and what are the benefits of a reduction ?

Thanks Mark

Re: ***Reducing Balsamic***

To reduce something, put it in a pan and boil it gently until it's the amount you're after. This boils off the water and leaves more of the "essence" of your liquid. Makes it thicker, richer, and stronger, among other things. If you want to reduce balsamic, watch it carefully since it's got a fair amount of sugar in it, and it will burn if you get it too far reduced.

Maple syrup is basically a reduction, if you think about it.

One reason you might want to reduce balsamic is so you can put a drop or two on fresh strawberries- it's amazing that way.
    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Hi Mark!

I reduce lots of things: balsamic, merlot (plus sugar as a preservative), chicken stock, etc.

As Elizabeth says boil gently. You don't want to drive all the volatiles (aromatics) out of the liquid. For balsamic I typically boil a cup down to 1/4 cup or so. For wine I usually push it further - a bottle to half a cup or so. I sometimes take stock from a quart or so down to a few spoonfuls. Gives really intense flavor. An issue to watch out for is salt. You don't want to start with a salted liquid or it is likely to be way too salty when you finish. So, for stock I only do home-made, unsalted stock as the beginning and season it when finished.

Good Luck!
      Jay

Comment

Thanks

So Im understanding that your basically making a concentrated version ?

Comment

Yeah, that's basically it!

Comment

Working...
          X