web analytics
Rootkit Scam Alert - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Rootkit Scam Alert

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rootkit Scam Alert

I had a strange experience the other night.
    I went to buy a new TV over the net, and when I tried to pay for it with Paypal, a window popped up, asking for credit card number, D.O.B., ATM pin and other personal information. Somewhat confused, I cancelled out of there.
    (I've always made it a rule not put that info on the net. My Paypal is linked to a bank account I only ever top up with cash. None of my other accounts are even with the same bank.)
    It looked like a real Paypal page, too.
    So I decided to have a look on Ebay. When I logged on, presto, a similar page that looked like a real EBay page asked me to confirm my identity with credit card number, ATM pin, etc.
    So I didn't get anything off EBay either.
    A surf on the net shows that this is a scam that has been going on for some years. It's a rootkit, whatever that is.
    It got past my anti-virus, etc.
    4 different virus checkers later, I still hadn't found anything on my harddrive.
    I asked the IT boys at work, who shuddered and said, "Unless you know exactly what it's called, we can't help you."
    So, I did some more research and found MalwareBytes Anti-Rootkit. Its the beta version, so it is "use at own risk". It found 5 infections. I fixed all of them, now I can log-in to Ebay.
    Beware the root-kit, and whatever you do, don't fill that page in when it pops up.

Re: Rootkit Scam Alert

Thanks for the alert. It always amazes me that these people who are obviously sharp, just don't go into the private sector and make 6 figures honestly. I put my motor home up for sale a while back and got slammed with a paypal scam. They kept bugging me for my paypal address so they could give me money. I finally got rid of them by telling them to deposit the money at eatshit@paypal.com - they went away...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Always a good idea to report it to PayPal:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?c...stion4-outside
      Un amico degli amici.

Comment

Viruses are the main reason so many people have switched to Apple. They use a superior operating system that's harder for hackers to get into.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Bugger, I thought you were giving me a link to a root kit.......
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
            Bugger, I thought you were giving me a link to a root kit.......
            You'll need an air pump for one of those.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
            X