web analytics
Another mortar question - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

Another mortar question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another mortar question

Last fall I started building my oven with Tenax Mortar. The weather got cold so I quit for the winter. I just uncovered my project because its 55 degrees and I figured I could get going on it again. I had laid three courses of the dome. But when I started they all just fell off. Does anyone know about Tenax mortar, or should I be using something else instead???
    Thanks for any help.
    Attached Files

Re: Another mortar question

All I could find is the MSDS sheet, but it looks to be an airset water soluble mortar, fine for indoor fireplaces, not so good for outdoor work.

Comment

Tenax is a air set water based high temperature mortar. It is rehydratable. Because it is an air set it takes quite a while for initial firm set. That's OK if you are laying plumb and level, but if you are laying a tilted course you will have to be patient, laying one course and waiting for it to firm up a bit before continuing. With a masonry fireplace, the tilted courses form the smoke shelf and can be backed (filled) with a fireclay mortar/firebrick rubble mixture up to 8" from the top of the back wall of the firebox. From that point upward you can plaster the back side with the fireclay mortar mix up to 1" thick. I use 1 part fireclay, 1 part portland, 6 parts fine sand. When you are doing an oven you will likely need to support from the interior for at least a couple of hours (more if the weather is cool and humid) and take it slow. I have found the Tenax to be an excellent product for interior (weather protected) use.

Comment

Thanks swiggum
        I found some fire clay at a local pottery place so I think I'll go with that instead of the Tennax.Thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
        X