web analytics
practice turkey - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

practice turkey

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• practice turkey

With thanksgiving a week away, I decided to cook a practice turkey in the pizza oven.

I lit a fire the day before and got it to pizza temps. Once the logs burned off I threw the door on.

The turkey was a medium/ large size bird and was purchased for only 6 dollars.

I brined it, which is just a fancy way of submerging it in a salt water solution overnight.
    This ensures a super moist turkey. 24 hours later pulled the turkey out of the brine, rubbed some salt, herbs and seasoning on
    it and placed it breast side up on a roasting pan.

I threw 4 more logs in and lit a slow medium fire.
    Once these logs flamed off I slid the turkey in the oven and threw the door on.
    3.5 hours later, pulled it out and had a perfect turkey. Smokey, juicy and tender with meat falling off the bone.

When it comes to the actual turkey day I would do everything the same.

Re: practice turkey

Did you measure any temps?
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

i have a dial thermometer in my door and it registered 600 when I threw the bird it. the skin darkened to crisp deep fried type dark brown crust, just what i was looking for. Some might consider it burnt, but i call it blackened.

i'll take some pics when i cook the next turkey come thanskgiving day.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/...rkey-7990.html hey mich,,, sounds like you did fine,, here is a link to my Turkey Test Drive.. I didnt use the brine... mine came out great, But do you think it comes out better with the brine ??

Brining makes it moister somehow. But if you brine make sure you don't have a pre-basted or self basting bird. It will be way too salty if you do.

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html