web analytics
My First Meal! The 14-cent chicken - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

1 of 3 < >

Forum Page Loading Response

Forum Members:

We have received feedback regarding recent issues with page loading response time. We believe the slow response issue stems from the analytics we added with the new Forum. We are in the process of reconfiguring those elements and, after an approximate 24-hour time period for the reconfiguration to run, we anticipate a return to normal page load times. Thank you for your patience!
2 of 3 < >

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum members.

As many may have noticed already, the Community Forum site was briefly down today. While working on scheduled routine maintenance, we encountered an error when trying to add a software update. As the site is now back up and running, some of you may notice that some recent data has been misplaced from November 10th up to today. We are currently working on resolving the issue. The forum has full operational capabilities and we encourage all forum members to continue actively posting in the threads.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this issue may have caused you. The Forno Bravo family values each and every member of our community. If you have any issues or concerns, please feel free to let us know on our issues thread here:

Thank you for understanding.
3 of 3 < >

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

My First Meal! The 14-cent chicken

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Meal! The 14-cent chicken

I am impatient. After my seventh curing fire, I wanted to cook something. The oven had reached about 500 near the floor and I wanted to use some of that heat to roast something I could eat. I went to the grocery store and found a 4 pound chicken. The weighing scale/price marker had malfunctioned, giving the chicken a measured weight of .11 pounds. The chicken cost .14 cents. I brought this to the attention of the manager, and he let me have it for the marked price. What a coup!

I constructed a makeshift oven door using a hunk of firewood, cut from the edge of the tree, and screwed two handles on it. It left a gap of half an inch on either side, which was not perfect, but it allowed the coals to smoulder for a while.

I dusted the chicken with Goya Adobo seasoning (con pimienta), and put a probe thermometer in the breast. It started at 51 degrees and ended up at 170 about an hour later. It was one of the juiciest, tastiest chickens I've ever had.
    Attached Files
    There is nothing quite so satisfying as drinking a cold beer, while tending a hot fire, in an oven that you built yourself, and making the best pizza that your friends have ever had.

Here's the finished chicken.

It was the best 14 cents I've ever spent on a meal.
    Attached Files
    There is nothing quite so satisfying as drinking a cold beer, while tending a hot fire, in an oven that you built yourself, and making the best pizza that your friends have ever had.

There is nothing better than the first meal out of your own brick oven. I can remember the first things I have cooked in new ovens. It's like the first record you play on your new stereo (when we were all a lot younger). Excellent. And a $.14 chicken at that. Hmmm. Free oven plans, free chicken. You must be doing something right.
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: My First Meal! The 14-cent chicken

Amen to that James.

After my fifth pizza effort at lunch last Saturday, I put in a chicken for dinner. Alright it wasn't $ 0.14, but we can't all be that lucky. It was tremendous, juicy, tender and crisp, with just a bit of smoke.

I was surprised to see how much heat the chicken could take without burning. I might even put it in at a higher temperature next time, as I had to feed the fire to really crisp it.

These ovens really are incredibly versatile.

Fio.....I like your door

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Good stuff Fio,
            great to see that you have good tastes in your beer as well. Yet another good product that we make here down under eh!
            Keep up the good work. Now you'll use the forum for cooking help and ideas instead of construction help.

Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1
            Neillís kitchen underway