web analytics
24 hour black-eyed peas - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

24 hour black-eyed peas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 hour black-eyed peas

I hate to waste all that heat, so I filled the crockpot with dried black-eye peas, tomatos, sausage, onions, cilantro and jalapenos and spices.

I put it in at 520 degrees, so I will have to check the water in a couple hours then again in the morning. I plan on putting the lid on before bed tonight and eating them tomorrow about this time. I sure hope the crock pot doesn't crack....

Re: 24 hour black-eyed peas

Almost bedtime, so I added another 3 cups of water (I added three cups around 8:00), stirred them and doored it back up. The temp is down to 410 degrees.

Comment

Tscarborough,

We will use the oven heat to cook off a pot of beans just about every other time we heat up the oven... again, I like to make use of the heat in that 'retained heat masonry oven'.

I have collected a couple of cast iron pots, and that is what we use to slow cook stuff. I try to use the enameled pots with the recipe's with tomatoes... try to keep the acid from the tomatoes from cutting the 'cure' on the cast iron.

I will typically get the temperatures closer to the 350 degree mark before putting the pot in the oven for an overnight cook. I'll be curious to see how your pot - o - beans comes out starting at the higher temps.

Keep us posted!

Thanks,

JED

Comment

How do you measure temps?

I have quite a few "dutch ovens" they type scouts use most often and hope to use them in the future.
        Derk

Comment

It was at 350 this morning at 6:00AM, I added 3 more cups of water and sealed it back up to cook for 11 more hours (when I get home from work).

I use a IR heat gun from harbor freight.

I have all sizes cast iron pots, dutch ovens, and frying pans, I didn't even think about using them for some reason.

Comment

Thanks,

I think I will keep my eye out for a gun. We have a Harbor Freight north and south of our place.

Thermocouples are neat but a little too pricey, would much rather put the extra $ into the oven or pizza supplies.

Comment

Oh yeah.

Comment

Working...
              X