web analytics
Running the mixer faster - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

1 of 3 < >

Forum Page Loading Response

Forum Members:

We have received feedback regarding recent issues with page loading response time. We believe the slow response issue stems from the analytics we added with the new Forum. We are in the process of reconfiguring those elements and, after an approximate 24-hour time period for the reconfiguration to run, we anticipate a return to normal page load times. Thank you for your patience!
2 of 3 < >

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum members.

As many may have noticed already, the Community Forum site was briefly down today. While working on scheduled routine maintenance, we encountered an error when trying to add a software update. As the site is now back up and running, some of you may notice that some recent data has been misplaced from November 10th up to today. We are currently working on resolving the issue. The forum has full operational capabilities and we encourage all forum members to continue actively posting in the threads.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this issue may have caused you. The Forno Bravo family values each and every member of our community. If you have any issues or concerns, please feel free to let us know on our issues thread here:

Thank you for understanding.
3 of 3 < >

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

Running the mixer faster

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running the mixer faster

I have been making an 80% focaccia and some 70% whole wheat sourdough recently, where you really have to run the mixer at a high speed in order to develop enough gluten to actually form a dough ball. If you run it any slower, you just end up with a puddle.

My question is what is the theory behind higher and lower mixing speeds. I guess I know that a lot of high speed mixing creates friction and heat, which aren't good for my dough -- but beyond that, I'm still learning.

What's at play here, and does higher speed mixing work out OK when you are working with higher hydration doughs?

Thanks all,
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Running the mixer faster

The best description of the difference of mixer speeds that I've seen is in the Michael Suas book. He describes three different mixing routines, which seem to differ only by mixer speed, that results in different textures. Slower - courser; faster = finer... if I recall correctly.

EDIT: For a summary, check out the Summer 2007 newletter regarding "short mix, intensive mix, etc."

Last edited by BrianShaw; 03-31-2009, 07:03 AM. Reason: Added source of summary information

Very nice. Thanks Brian.

What do you think they mean by short and intensive in terms of minutes? The article makes a lot of sense and brings forward the idea of gluten development during bulk fermentation -- beyond mixing. Nice.

Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Example mixing times from the Suas book
        (assuming a spiral mixer @ 100 RPM in first speed and 200 RPM in second speed):

short mix = 4 to 5 minutes to incorporate ingredients + 6 minutes for gluten development. All in first speed.

Improved mix = 4 to 5 minutes to incorporate ingredients in first speed + 5 minutes in second speed.

Intensive mix = 4 to 5 minutes to incorporate ingredients in first speed + 8 minutes in second speed.

I haven't extensively experimented with these differences, but recently changed from a process that is generally consistent with "short mix" to one that is generally cosnistent with "improved mix" because I was not happy with the "body" of my dough. The faster mixing speed appears to build more gluten and result in a "less slumpy" dough.

In another thread -- http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f10/...html#post52903 -- Jay describes the technique I've adopted for almost all bread: autolyze plus "improved mix". Reinhart doesn't call it by that name but the technique is the same. Separately these techniques has been an improvement, in my opinion, over the "old-fashioned" techniques... but in combination they have been a major contributor to consistent bread-baking successes.