web analytics
Daily Focaccia - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Daily Focaccia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Focaccia

We make Focaccia most nights when we don't have a good hearth bread in the house. It's so simple and it is so much better than most bread you can buy. It's better in a brick oven, but it also does pretty well in a conventional oven.

It is basically a pizza dough recipe, laced with good olive oil. More oil in the baking tray and on the dough, and a sprinkle of oil when it comes hot out of the oven.

I use the Caputo flour, which is great for a light flatbread like this. Bread flour also works.

James
    Attached Files
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Focaccia

James,

I've experimented a bit with focaccia recipes and found something you might want to experiment with. Most recipes call for AP flour, but Peter Reinhart uses bread flour, which, I think, makes a better bread. However, you might try mixing half bread flour and half fancy durham flour. The result is interesting.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Jim,

I made a focaccia tonight with my Giusto's bread flour. You can definitely see the difference from the Tipo 00 flour. I also experimented with a pizza stone temperatures, but more on that later.

The high gluten bread flour has more density in your hand when you are kneading, and the final bread had more substance. I think mixing it with half AP might lighten the final result. It might be a little heavy and the holes too dense for a flat bread.

What should I look for with the durham flour?

James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
      X