web analytics
Pasta, water and salt - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

Pasta, water and salt

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pasta, water and salt

This relates to baked pasta dishes (which work great in a wood-fired oven) -- I know you are supposed to bring your water to a boil before you add the salt (and then the pasta). My question is why? Does it have to do with salt lowering the water temperature and slowing down the boiling process?

Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Pasta, water and salt

Supposedly undissolved salt can pit stainless steel, so if you add salt after it comes to a boil it dissolved right away...
    My Oven Thread:

OK, you're sending back to chemistry 101. You are right, salt dissolving in water is an endothermic reaction - it lowers water temperature. For the purposes of salt in a large pot of water I think this effect is insignificant. Salted water also has a slightly higher boiling point. Again, I think this is insignificant. When you add salt to boiling water the crystals of salt form a nidus for water vapor bubbles to form - this is why the water appears to boil more rapidly when you add salt - this is modestly cool to see (but not really much to talk about compared to plasma in the dome of the oven) and this rapid bubbling may be responsible for the short calming of the boil after adding the salt. The best reason to add the salt after the water starts to boil? I suspect tradition.

I salt the water when it is cold - for both pasta and potatoes. Maybe that's why my SS spagetti pot has little rust spots on the bottom???

Drake's right. It'll stain then pit the pot if you add it to cold water.
          View my pictures at, Picasaweb.google.com/xharleyguy

no chemistry here..as grandma always said..a little salt to help keep the water from boiling over and a little oil to keep it from sticking