web analytics
36" Oven Tools - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.


To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

36" Oven Tools

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 36" Oven Tools

    Hello All,

    I'm about a month and a half away from completing my oven...only 3 weeks until my curing fires !! I'm building a 36" oven and was wondering what length cooking tools I need. Peels, rake, brush etc... I'm looking at tools that have 47" handles but I'm wondering if 20" handle tools would work for me? Having never done it I don't know and I'd like to have my tools on standby once my oven is ready to cook some food !!

    Your thoughts??

    thanks
    Link to my oven build on YouTube:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

  • #2
    Re: 36" Oven Tools

    Your handles generally need to be a bit longer than the diameter of your oven plus the entry. Better to have them too long because you can cut them shorter. Long handles are a pain. You need to be careful you don't clock someone in the head. My oven is small so my handles are quite short and easier to manage one handed.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 36" Oven Tools

      I have a bunch of tools from FB with 47" handles, and they seem just right for my 36" oven. Depends on the tool though. The tools you use to manipulate things in the oven while you're cooking (round peel, oven rake, brush) definitely need the long handles, because otherwise you're sticking your whole arm into the oven for extended periods of time, and probably can't see what you're doing. For peels used for loading the oven, you can get away with a shorter handle. I have a bunch of wood peels with 8" handles that I use to load pizzas in, for instance. I have a longer handled square metal peel that I use to load bread, but a 20" handle would probably work just as well on that one.
      My build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...-dc-18213.html

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 36" Oven Tools

        Originally posted by K79 View Post
        Hello All,

        I'm about a month and a half away from completing my oven...only 3 weeks until my curing fires !! I'm building a 36" oven and was wondering what length cooking tools I need. Peels, rake, brush etc... I'm looking at tools that have 47" handles but I'm wondering if 20" handle tools would work for me? Having never done it I don't know and I'd like to have my tools on standby once my oven is ready to cook some food !!

        Your thoughts??

        thanks
        I like wood handles with metal on the business end, not as cold on my hands in the winter.

        42 inch oven. Longest tool is my ash rake 60 inches, the shortest is my pot and pan pusher-puller 36 inches.

        Both work as designed.

        Chip
        Attached Files
        Chip

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 36" Oven Tools

          What about peel size for loading pizza. The "business" end I'm not sure what size I would need. I was thinking a 13" rectangular but now I'm thinking a 15" would be nice. I have a 19" opening.

          Completely different topic. When your oven is to temperature and you have your coals/fire to one side do you guys take a lightly damp cloth on your brush to swab the oven floor before cooking?
          Link to my oven build on YouTube:

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 36" Oven Tools

            You will lose some heat in doing so. I have a tube I blow it clear with.

            I have a long handled turning peel, using 2 hands allows you to work it. My other metal peel is about 36" and I also have one that is 18", either work for launching and retrieving.

            14" is the minimum width I would get, even with that I sometimes have to use a screen for 16"+ pizzas.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 36" Oven Tools

              Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
              You will lose some heat in doing so. I have a tube I blow it clear with.

              I have a long handled turning peel, using 2 hands allows you to work it. My other metal peel is about 36" and I also have one that is 18", either work for launching and retrieving.

              14" is the minimum width I would get, even with that I sometimes have to use a screen for 16"+ pizzas.
              I use a blow tube also, made from an aluminum cross country ski pole, tapers nicely at the end, but make sure your lips do not come in contact with the metal in the winter, I speak from experience there got stuck on the tube once, have a plastic or rubber tip on the lips end.

              My metal peel is 16 round.

              Chip
              Chip

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 36" Oven Tools

                LOL, Did someone "double dog dare you" to stick your tongue on the ski pole.......

                Christmas Story Classic
                Attached Files
                Russell

                Link to my Picasa Album
                https://plus.google.com/photos/10287...21083003687777

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 36" Oven Tools

                  Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                  I use a blow tube also, made from an aluminum cross country ski pole, tapers nicely at the end, but make sure your lips do not come in contact with the metal in the winter, I speak from experience there got stuck on the tube once, have a plastic or rubber tip on the lips end.

                  My metal peel is 16 round.

                  Chip
                  I also have a rubber tip on the end of my blow pipe, but more because after a few beers I've more than once bashed a front tooth on the pipe. I might have "lost my marbles" but I still have all my teeth and I intend to keep them.
                  Rubber on the end of your pipe is a good safety measure.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: 36" Oven Tools

                    Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                    LOL, Did someone "double dog dare you" to stick your tongue on the ski pole.......

                    Christmas Story Classic
                    No, just a brain fart the first time I used it when it was below zero and starting a fire.

                    Chip
                    Chip

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X